Is there any audible.com user?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rai, May 6, 2003.

1. Rai macrumors member

I was wondering is any is using this service, and is it any good. Its not available yet, but soon will be to window ipod users.

It looks interesting, but i'm not sure how it works, is every magazine article a different track, how do they make it easy to restart where you left of in a book?

Thanks in advance for any answers

2. robbybogers macrumors member

i love audible.com, it is really easy to use on my mom's ibook, basically all i have have to is download the file and drag it in to itunes. When it is on my ipod it automatically saves where it is at when i shut it off or change to music.

3. MrBillGates macrumors member

Audible.com is an excellent service. I highly recommend it.

4. Rai thread starter macrumors member

Thanks i signed up for the the 1 month free. And downloaded " The Story of Pi". Great service, i can see this getting very addictive in the future.

5. ozubahn macrumors regular

I have used Audible quite a lot and I definitely like it. I have the $15/month subscription plan, which includes one book and one periodical subscription each month. Considering the cost of audiobooks, it isn't bad at all. Pick a good unabridged novel and you can easily have 40 or 50 hours of entertainment for your 15 bucks, excellent for long commutes. :) My only complaint is that many titles are offered only at very low-quality compression settings. I don't know why this is, but be forewarned. I bought an audiobook once and found that only formats 1 and 2 were available (not 3 or 4). I could hardly make out what was happening because the sound quality was so bad. Otherwise, I think it is a great service.

6. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

How does it work? Is there a subscription fee? When I went on the site all I saw was that you could buy individual audio books or get monthly subscriptions to magazines. Seemed pretty expensive, though.

What do people use it for? The magazines, or books? I've never been a fan of audio books, but now that I have an iPod I could see myself listening to them on my commute...

7. ozubahn macrumors regular

Both the books and the magazines. My commute is about an hour each way, and Audible makes it much more pleasant. The trains in Tokyo are often so crowded that physically holding a book in front of oneself is not possible (or at least not polite), so I just take my iPod. I listen to novels mostly, but sometimes I use the magazines to follow my favorite programs, like NPR news, that are otherwise not available in Japan.

8. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I love audible, I pay $20 for two books per month, plus I have purchased a year subscription of:
    Scientific America
    Audible Technology Review
    In Bed with Susie Bright

If you are over 18, I recommend checking out the last one, she is pretty cool to listen to, look over her past show titles and pick one that sounds good.

I also recommend the Robin Williams shows they have in their archive. He used to do a biweekly interview show that was awesome. He must be busy now, since they have not done any updates. Dukestreet, I would not get any of them, it will only piss you off. Robin is a little "left-leaning"

9. celina macrumors newbie

Where is this one month free you mentioned? I keep clicking around the site and can't seem to find it.. could you send a URL my way?

10. Rai thread starter macrumors member

In the apple site, if you go to info about ipod, under music tab. Select info about audible.com, it gives you a link for a free month of audible.

I think the link is

www.audible.com/mac/2003/offer2/

11. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Sweet! I'll check it out! So how does it work after the free month? Do you pay a flat monthly fee and get X number of downloads? Or is it strictly a la carte?

12. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

The free one month is probably a free title or two, or maybe one free book and one free periodical. You pick what you want, it is moved to a "library" then you can download titles in your library as often as you like. This is nice as you can erase something you have listened to, then go back a year later and download it again.