Is there any free software out there for making webpages?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by masta d cva, Jun 29, 2006.

1. masta d cva macrumors newbie

I would like to try and make a basic webpage for my small business but i havent been able to find any sites with something like the yahoo website building software that only works for windows. Anyone know anything for Mac OSX?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Assuming you aren't looking for anything too complex you could always find some on line tutorials (or "website for dummies" books) and code it yourself.

Lethal

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hi
    Welcome to MR

As a suggesiton, try a wee Search in these forums where the question has been asked and answered many times.

4. masta d cva thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the ideas. Will see what I can find.

5. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Nice software...one small problem...not free.

How about TextEdit? That's free:rolleyes:

6. belovedmonster macrumors regular

Does no one follow open source software?

Nvu is an open source WYSIWYG site maker. Theres a Mac version available.

http://www.nvu.com

7. johnniewalker macrumors member

Although it's not free as the original post requested, I can also recommend Rapidweaver, it's the best compromise between ease of use, standard of finished site and flexibility that I've found in a WYSIWYG site builder.

I've tried iweb, sandvox and freeway but I like RW the best.

If you visit screencasts online they have 3 very good tutorials on how to use the software and even had a discount code to save money on the software!

You can get a very nice basic site up and running within half an hour, if you spend a little more time and use some of the plugins available you can get very professional looking results, I only recently started using it as I read a review in 'mac format' magazine which only gave it 3 out of 5, but they failed to mention the great plugins available from http://www.yourhead.com/ , they only cost a few quid each and add alot of extra functions and ease of use to RW.

The only downside is the pages aren't totally customisable, at least not unless your create your own html which defeats the point of a wysiwyg builder, but I've seen guides on how to customise RW themes and there are plenty available to download and buy.

To be honest I think if you don't know anything about html (like me) and if you've not got the time or the interest to learn it but want to create a stylish site without the hassle then you would be better spending a few quid on software like this.

(it's also much more advanced than iweb !)

8. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

9. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

very good. NVU for html, textedit for php. who needs dreamweaver?:cool:

10. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Taco is very good, especially for beginners. It was the first tool I used for creating pages on Mac OS X, the live preview is very nice.

I'd throw my weight behind that.

TextMate is of course no. 1, but it's not free. Having said that it's well worth paying for.

11. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

12. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I personally think Taco Html Edit is immense (as benjamin linked to), it does syntax colouring a live preview of your site, and has a html colour converter built in, amung other good features. I would highly recommend it, though you need to know some basic html. It's also free!