Is there Any Good Web Browser??

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by msharp, Jul 16, 2004.

1. msharp macrumors regular

msharp

I'm a web designer, and i really wanna get rid of my PC, but there is one problem.

the pages i made before looked ugly in Safari, and also in IE 5 in OS X. that makes me impossible to work under OS X. Is there ANY web browser under OS X can browse pages as it is in Windows IE5 or 6(sorry i have to mention m$ windows)???? or i really can work using mac......

2. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

um...theres netscape, mozilla, opra, firefox,...im sure you can work in osx ;) safari looks great to me, good feature set too

3. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Try one of the Mozilla browsers, Firefox has been in the spot light recently.

Just curios, how are you encoding your pages? Could it be that you have been building for IE 5+ on windows specifically? IE has had, even though one of the first to adapt to standards, a long history of not being compliant with current day css and gives many designers/developers headaches, myself included.

I would recommend that if you are designing for the web that you should just download all of the browsers and do cross checks with every page you build.

Some of the majors are (I do cross checks in the following, no special order or preference (Firefox and Safari are my preferred browsers fore everyday use)):
    Firefox
    Safari
    Camino
    Mozilla
    Opera
    OmniWeb
    Netscape
    Internet Explorer

I would also recommend hanging on to that PC for cross platform checking, that is if you are serious about web development.

4. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

What the hell kind of web designer are you to not know that IE is the worst broswer out there. Read ANY article about web design and you'll know that IE is the bane of the web designer's existence. ALL well written and well coded pages require HACKS to work with IE. You can design the same garbage websites you're designing now in OS X, but you can't preview them until you look at them in IE. If you look at a page in Safari or Firefox and it looks great, but it looks crappy in IE then you're probably on the right track.

The only web design problem you might have on OS X is that Microsoft doesn't make Front Page for Mac.

Take a look at alistapart.com to see what you need to know to properly design.

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....exactly....I despise that attitude that because so many windoze users use IE that if my page looks good in IE for windoze but not in other browsers that it is the other browsers fault....think about it....do you really want M$ to be the ones deciding what web standards are?...oh yeah!

7. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

IE is so bad right now that even M$ is encouraging users to use a different browser.

8. James L macrumors 6502a

I will put this more politely than the others have, but the truth is if you are making pages that look great in IE on a PC but are broken in Safari and IE Mac (2 of the most standards based browsers out there for their time), then you are not writing your web pages properly at all.

Visit the W3 site, and read up on web standards. I would suggest doing a search on proprietary browser code and why you should NOT use it... at all. Learn about DocTypes, how to validate your HTML/XHTML/CSS, and how to code error free scripting. If you do this, plus learn about bugs each browser has (IE PC being the worst), your web pages will view fine in ANY browser, on BOTH platforms.

When I was in college taking web design courses my profs wouldn't accept browser specific, or platform specific, sites. End of story.

EDIT: By the way, this isn't a Mac versus PC thing.... you should not have marked differences between site rendering in PC IE and PC NN, or PC Opera, or PC blah blah blah... Valid code is valid code. Non valid code causes problems.

Let me know if you need any help!

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'd be willing to help out too. If you want an example of simple XHTML that will work in any modern browser (including IE/Win), look at the source of my website (http://homepage.mac.com/wrldwzrd89/). I read up on the relevant standards at W3C (http://www.w3.org/) before designing my web site - if I were you, I'd do the same thing.

10. msharp thread starter macrumors regular

msharp

yes everyone, i think today i learned so much that i have to thank all of you!!!!!

I think i'll read up the W3 standard before continue my works... Thanks everyone!

PS: I worried for the look in IE on PC because my customers were all on PCs(of course using IEs), and without their satisfaction I would......you know that. :D