Is there any known problems with Java and Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EasyB, Apr 4, 2005.

1. EasyB macrumors member

EasyB

Safari takes so long to launch java applets and will often crash while a complex applet is running. Where is my problem at?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Probably in your computer.

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

A site wirtten with MS Java using ActiveX, maybe?

5. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Maybe try Firefox to isolate whether it is Safari or the Apple JVM.

6. reckless_0001 macrumors 6502

happens to me with some applets too... Just view page in Camino, hopefully it will be improved in the new OS updates.

7. Uma888 macrumors 6502

isnt java supposed to be "Platform independant" ? meaning code sould run fine on all platforms :eek:

8. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Yes, except MS distributed a bastardized version for some time. That was the whole point behind Sun's law suit against MS, which MS settled out of court.

9. AppleAce macrumors regular

Isn't Apple's implementation of Java somewhat behind that of M$ ? For example, Yahoo chat doesn't work reliably at all under Safari or Firefox, or IE for that matter.

10. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

No, Microsoft no longer provide a separate implementation of the JVM, and it ended at something like Java 1.1 (they still support it, but their website provides links to the Sun website).

Sun's implementation is the reference version, but they provide versions only for Windows, Solaris and Linux.

The Mac OS X latest version (1.4.1) is behind the current Sun version (1.5). It's hard to say if something written for the Microsoft JVM would work with JDK 1.4.x or JDK 1.5, and I don't feel like trying to find out, but I think it's unlikely.

11. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

yea when i would run java on my safari, it would quit a lot....so eventually i just got fed up with it and i got camino....and that has been the best browser i have ever used...bar none...super fast and sweet :)

12. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Yes it is. But as a (Java) developer I can say that even if it's supposed to be platform independent, there are always some small differences that can cause problems unless the developer is very careful and/or makes sure to test the product on different platforms.

13. AppleAce macrumors regular

That's more or less what I meant. Apple isn't running the latest version of Java, so some applets, like Yahoo chat, function very inconsistently or not at all.

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

and unfortunately there are lots of java developers who don't take the time & effort to make sure their product runs well on Macs.......it's very common to find java applets that don't work at all on a Mac

15. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Yahoo chat doesn't use Java 1.5. If it doesn't work well on the Mac it is because it is badly coded or because there are bugs in Apple's JVM. The former is more likely.

16. reckless_0001 macrumors 6502

Yahoo! doesn't like Apple... they won't support Apple at all. Sure they have messenger, but even that is not as good. I also noticed whenever there is something bad in the news about Apple... etc.. 'Hackers likely to target Mac OS' they'll put it on the front of their website.. grr... as for their java... chat... I think it's their problem..

17. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Java can be a little flakey sometimes on my machine. Sometimes programs won't run even though I've checked the code and I know everything is correct.

As for Yahoo, I wish the Mac version of Yahoo Messenger was the same as the PC version. They're pretty much the same except the audio chat. I have to use VPC to run Yahoo Messenger to use the audio chat. Really annoying. Is there a 3rd party program out there for OS X that I can use for Yahoo's audio chat?

18. reckless_0001 macrumors 6502

There's also no IM enviroments in the mac version.