Is there any program to make everything louder?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FleurDuMal, Sep 19, 2006.

1. macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Hey,

I love my Macbook, but by God are those speakers quiet!!!

Does anyone know any programme I can run on which will just make everything louder? I know it sounds stupid, but my music is barely audible sometimes!!

Thanks.

2. emw
    macrumors G4

emw

Use the Volume Adjustment setting in iTunes?

Attached Files:

3. JDN
    macrumors 6502a

I doubt it. There is an extra 12db gain in the iTunes sound control panel but that will make it sound awful. Go out and buy yourself some JBL Creature II and be done with it. ;)

4. macrumors member

twistmac

Yeah get some external speakers, pretty much everyone ends up doing that.

5. macrumors member

rodti

Alternatively you could get an Airport Express and stream your iTunes music to any existing sound system in the room. :cool: Works for me!

6. dcv
    macrumors G3

Or try one of these...

[​IMG]

:D

7. mpw

Mmmmmmmmm horn!

8. macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I wouldnt try overloading the MB speakers as you are likely to blow them. I have a G5 hooked up to my stereo with a simple audio connection . Infact thinking about Ive never heard my G5s own speaker. I bet its *****... thats if it even works! :D

9. macrumors 6502a

Palad1

My powerbook goes all the way up to eleven.

10. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

External speakers are your best bet and while on the go, headphones.

11. macrumors 6502a

bowens

"Why don’t you just make 10 louder and make 10 be the top number, and make that a little louder?"
    "These go to 11."

Awesome movie.

12. macrumors member

Interestingly enough I was just coming here to post this question! I like my MacBook, however the speakers are very poor compared to my Dell Inspiron. I know you can't expect theater sound from them... but I also don't feel like I should have to strain to hear them!

13. macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I take it neither the OP or the poster above knows much about sound. If you make speakers go louder than they are supposed to, they either break, or will sound HORRIBLE.

14. macrumors member

And you'd be wrong. I understnad you can't overdrive a speaker... however, the obvious fact that you can max out the Mac OSX speaker volume, and then max out iTunes volume control and get acceptable and crisp volume, indicates the speakers can go louder! The point is... we'd like to be able to get iTunes like volume out of ALL of our apps.. not just the apps with internal volume controls!

If you read around the Internet.. you'll learn that if you install Windows XP via Boot Camp, the volume is MUCH MUCH better. It clearly is a software limitation that Apple put in for some reason.

15. macrumors member

Some reason probably being to help increase the longevity of the built in speakers that way 18 months from now Apple doesn't have a flock of users complaining about blown speakers

16. macrumors newbie

Vlc

If anyone has ever used VLC media player, http://www.videolan.org/vlc/,
    they know that it will allow you to take the audio up to 400% of what is standard on a Mac.
    I love this program b/c it lets me actually hear the movies that I'm watching. I just wish someone would develop something like this that would stay in the Control Panel.

~tim

17. macrumors newbie

VLC media player

Thanks above post!
    i downloaded the player and the volume adjuster on it made the music much louder than standard the volume. The quality wasnt really lost. All i did was transfer all the music from my itunes to the library on the player; it literally took 5 second to transfer over 2,000 songs !

-the negative you have to play the music through the player but it does have a shuffle and search feature.

just incase my post isn't below the link here it is again. if it does not work type it into google.

-----If anyone has ever used VLC media player, http://www.videolan.org/vlc/,
    they know that it will allow you to take the audio up to 400% of what is standard on a Mac.
    I love this program b/c it lets me actually hear the movies that I'm watching. I just wish someone would develop something like this that would stay in the Control Panel.

18. macrumors 65816

haiggy

http://www.joesoft.com/products/hear.php

Improves sound system wide, you can control certain applications, etc.

Basically adds software audio enhancements to anywhere you want and any type or style with lots of customizability.

The only gripe I had with the problem was when I used it with Ventrilo, it caused a memory leak in Ventrilo or something and had it use like 1.2 GB of memory instead of the 17 MB or so that it regularly would.........

Other than that it was fine and a good option to explore I suppose.

19. macrumors newbie

Didn't want to make a new thread, thought I would ask in here.

I have external speakers connected to my Macbook, but sometimes the bass gets a bit loud. My dorm's walls are like paper, so I don't want to piss people off.

My question: Is there any program that I can use to turn the bass down while still using the external speakers? The speakers themselves don't have a bass adjustment on it.

Thanks

20. macrumors member

Reducing the bass

If this is when using iTunes, you can reduce the bass in the included equalizer.
    (Window - Equalizer).

21. macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Bless you, sir or madam. I wish more people in my dorm thought like you. :rolleyes:

22. macrumors newbie

Thanks a ton!