Is there any way I can play my PS2 on my LCD?

Discussion in 'Community' started by joey4127, May 6, 2005.

1. joey4127 macrumors 6502

joey4127

What I have is a Mac Mini and a Samsung LCD. Is there any possible way i could play my PS2 my LCD?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

What inputs does your LCD have? S-Video, VGA (15-pin D-sub connector), composite RCA (red/white/yellow), component? That's the magic question right there.

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

To add to this,

Does your computer have such input interfaces that you can connect to? I use my old 6500/275 to play my PS2 quite often. I also run my sound from the PS2 via Optical Fiber into the G5 and use headphones to listen to my audio.

not the most slender setup, but it works great!

:EDIT:
    Yeah Didn't read your Signature, you have a Mini, so no Video input, so yeah ignore my post :(

4. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

joey4127

It has no inputs just a VGA ooutput that connects to my mac mini

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

He's got a Mac mini, so the answer is no... there's no way to stream the PS2 through the Mac mini. This will only work if the Samsung LCD has more inputs (we will assume that he's using the VGA input for the Mac mini), and that the PS2 can connect to at least one of those inputs. Then he just needs to acquire the appropriate connectors/adaptors to connect the PS2 to the LCD, and then toggle the LCD between VGA mode and whatever other mode he wants to use.

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Thanks Clay,

I had edited my post prior to your reply, I must have done this while you were still typing this message. :D

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

If the LCD has ONLY a VGA input (signals go IN to the monitor), then the only way you're going to be able to get this to work is to get two things:

1. An external VGA switcher box (a KVM box will do, but really all you need is the V, video, part) that will allow you to run two VGA signals into the monitor, switching between them as necessary.

2. Something that will convert the PS2's output into VGA.

All told, you could probably get the gear you need for around $100 or so.

8. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

joey4127

Sounds like a lot of shopping for god knows what :p

9. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

If you end up doing what Clayj is suggesting, I would recommend buying the Svideo or Component (Colorstream) cables for your Playstation. Going normal RCA connector into such a box would have poor resolution, and if you are going to spend the money, doing it this way will get you better results.

10. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

Converting to DVI?

I have a different, but somewhat related question:

Is it possible to buy adaptor cables/boxes that allow you to input DVD players/consoles etc into an Apple Cinema display's DVI input?

11. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Is that DVI input DVI-A, DVI-D, or DVI-I? If the answer is DVI-A or DVI-I, then yes, it can be done... you'd need to convert the output from the DVD player/console into VGA, then run it through a VGA>DVI-I converter dongle (like what comes with the Mac mini). DVI-A (analog) and DVI-I (digital+analog) can handle converted analog signals.

If it's DVI-D, then the answer is no, probably not. DVI-D can only handle digital signals, outputted digitally. A converter box that could handle the conversion from analog to digital would cost more than a new display. (I've looked into this before.)

Side note: I think it should be illegal to just say "DVI", when there are three types of mutually-incompatible DVI. Say DVI-A, DVI-D, or DVI-I, not just plain "DVI".

12. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

Hmmm. So I guess the ACDs are all-digital and thus have DVI-D (although it's not specified as such). And then this route is no-go. Seems a shame as the ACD would otherwise be a perfect all-round display for me. We have a tiny flat, so I don't want multiple displays, and being concious of the environment, it only makes sense to buy stuff that is as useful as possible.

I guess DVD output from a Powerbook onto the ACD should be as good as from a commercial DVD player onto a TV/analogue LCD though - right?

13. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I would assume so. And the fact that the ACDs have ONLY DVI-D has been brought up before as a particular weakness of the ACD line... comparable Dell and Sony LCDs, for example, have multiple inputs, both digital and analog, making them more suitable for all-in-one usage. In this case, Apple's being "too cool for school" is actually a negative.

14. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

I'm going to look into the Sony/Samsung displays as alternatives to the Apple - I'm just not sold on the Dell design - especially as it is THE thing [that] will occupy a large, purposely visible space of your living/working environment.

15. joetronic macrumors 6502

there's a device called "the cheese box" It looks like a block of swiss cheese, and has all the connections listed above to connect to a VGA or DVI connection. they use them at Game Stop to connect the used game systems to computer monitors to test them (at least at the one my bro worked at.) I think they sell them as well.

16. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

Joey4127, after following Joetronic's cheesebox mention - i found a link to this: http://www.startech.com/ststore/itemdetail.cfm?ProductID=COMP2VGA&mt=Z

which sounds like the right thing for you. It has component and S-video In, and VGA out (so no good for an Apple ACD).

However, there is this: http://www.startech.com/ststore/ItemDetail.cfm?ProductID=VID2DVIDTV&tab=b&mt=Z

but, despite the name/description, I'm dubious that it would work. Is HDTV the same as DVI-D? Anybody?

17. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

That's like comparing Apples and oranges (ha). HDTV is a concept of how video should be transmitted, while DVI-D is a type of video connection (Digital Video Interface, Digital variant). A DVI-D connector can carry an HDTV-quality signal, but that doesn't really mean anything.

Anyway, he has a Samsung LCD, not an Apple Cinema Display, so anything that will convert the PS2's video signal to VGA should work. He'd also need a video switcher box to allow both the Mac mini and the PS2 to be connected at the same time (using the box to switch between them).