Is there any way to record streaming video on an iBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by skateny, Nov 4, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

skateny

Never even thought of doing this before, but I'm trying to keep myself occupied while I'm still without heat, power and gas (though I'm able to charge my battery and access WiFi at a local bakery).

2. macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Not really. Besides that's illegal ;)

3. macrumors 68000

If you have the Pro-license of Quicktime, there is an option to save the streamed files. Well Apple offers it, though it is illegal ;)

If you have uploaded a home-movie if your own and can't find the original and now want to get it back ;) you can use the following:

People say it is possible to capture your screen with VLC, but I did never get it to work.

No freeware: SnapZProX (screencapture)

Firefox add-on named "FastVideoDownload" or go to "show source code" in Firefox and search the code, were the video is played, copy that link into the download manager of FF.

Or put the temporary files out of the Quicktime-folder, if they are shown there. It's only for divx, which is less used. My OS once showed such files in movies->divx movies->temporarily downloaded files

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

skateny

Thanks for your good work.

Since it's illegal, I'd rather pass on it.

5. macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I wonder if the "fastvideodownload" would let me save some of the HBO Go, Max Go (Cinemax), and Showtime Anytime content. I'm a paying subscriber to all three services but would like to be able to capture some of the vids for planes, car rides (on sprint 3g and data's not fast enough to stream), etc.

6. macrumors newbie

If you have Firefox there are a few add-ons that would do it.