Is there any way to run Garage Band on OS 8.6?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mingus, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Mingus macrumors newbie

Greetings all. I just inherited a G3 iMac OS 8.6 333 Mhz and I desperately want Garage Band. Can I do it now or do I need to upgrade the OS?

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Your only way is to install OS X, then you will feel real pain when trying to run those programs. Face it, to have some fun in GarageBand you want at least a decent G4 and Ram.

jon

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Trust me, having tried it on a G3 400MHz Lombard PB running Panther:

You CANNOT run GB on that iBook. Maybe in theory, but you don't live there.

4. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Sadly, you not only need Mac OS X but a more powerful machine.

Garageband has some significant hardware requirements in addition to being a native OS X application. So merely upgrading your iMac G3 to OS X won't be enough.

If you choose to upgrade your iMac (some iMac models can be processor upgraded) you may be able to use iLife 2005. But for Garageband you need at least a 600 mhz G3, and that is SLOW when working with garageband,

Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G3 (400MHz or faster), G4, or G5 processor
    600MHz G3 or faster required for GarageBand
    G4 or G5 required for GarageBand software instruments and advanced photo editing in iPhoto 5
    733MHz G4 or faster required for iDVD
    1GHz G4 or faster required to use HD features of iMovie HD
    256MB of physical RAM (512MB recommended)
    512MB RAM required to use HD features of iMovie HD
    Mac OS X v10.3.4 or later
    Mac OS X v10.3.6 or later required to use HD features of iMovie HD
    Mac OS X v10.3.6 or later required to work with RAW photos (iPhoto 5)
    Display with at least 1024 x 768 pixel resolution
    QuickTime 6.5.2 (included)
    DVD drive required to install GarageBand and iDVD
    Apple SuperDrive (or 733MHz G4 processor) required for iDVD
    RAW requires a supported RAW-compatible camera
    Compatible SuperDrive required to burn DVDs
    4.3GB of disk space required to install GarageBand, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD; or 250MB to install iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie only
    iPhoto books and prints are available in the US, Canada, Japan, and select European countries
    Streaming music via AirTunes requires an AirPort Extreme Card, AirPort Express Base Station (sold separately), and iTunes 4.6 or later
    The iTunes Music Store is available only to persons above the age of 13 in the U.S., Canada, UK, France, Germany, and select EU countries

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You absolutely must have Mac OS X. I'm running it on a Cube (450 MHz G4) and it struggles with more than 4 or 5 tracks. So I'd say you can't really do it at all with your setup.

Save up for a Mini, you'll do MUCH better with that... and remember, upgrading the system and buying iLife would set you back around $200 anyway.

6. Mingus thread starter macrumors newbie