Is there any way to slipstream SP2 onto XP Pro on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by CraigB, Jun 13, 2006.

1. CraigB macrumors member

The problem I have is that my old Windows PC only has a CD-RW drive, while the XP installation + SP2 would go over the 700mb CD limit.

Thanks for any replies.

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Download www.parallels.com, install your current XP, but don't activate (you have 30 days).

Download www.nliteos.com and install in the XP VM in Parallels.

Follow the instructions to create a bootable ISO. Transfer this to your Mac OS and burn using Disk Utility.

3. CraigB thread starter macrumors member

Alright, I'll get on that right away. Thanks for your help.

4. CraigB thread starter macrumors member

Ran into a problem while installing Parallels.

I downloaded Parallels, installed it, put in my Windows XP installation CD, and let the thing install.

Now, I can get through the Windows XP loading screen "with the blue bar in the black screen" and the "Welcome" screen, but everything turns this dark teal colour afterwards. I can't seem to get any further than that. It's almost as if Windows finished loading or something, as no desktop nor any further set up screen appears.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

5. gavinhallweb macrumors newbie

Bootcamp cant recognise windows

How exactly do i do this with Disk Utility? How do i select it as an image?

Im not sure what i created in Parallels is an image. Its a folder called xp containing all the XP files with the slipstreamed SP2 files inserted (followed another tutorial for this) as well as the Microsoft Corporation.img that i pulled off the windows cd using isobuster in Parallels.

Parallels wont let me access the built in burner drive to write the disc in xp using Nero, tried burning a copy in Toast Titanium within OSX but bootcamp wouldnt recognise it.

Thanks kindly in advance for help with this.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

nliteos should have given you the option of creating a bootable iso file from the folder, transfer this to the Mac side and use Toast or DU to burn it.

B

7. reh macrumors 6502a

Slipstreaming SP2 onto an XP CD does not create an image too large to burn to a CD. Most of it is replacing files, not adding.

8. ich1ban macrumors regular

ich1ban

Win XP and SP2 fits and works fine on my cd-rw which is 700mb.