Is there any way to "turn back the clock" on a file?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tequila Grandma, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Tequila Grandma macrumors regular

Long story short: I just screwed up all my iTunes play counts. I'd like to "turn back the clock" on my iTunes Music Library file, and get the play counts to the way they should be. Is there any way to do this on a Mac?

Also: I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but I wasn't sure where to post such a thing. Please please please somebody help.

Thanks so much.

2. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Do you have a backup?
    Do you know what the values used to be?
    Have you considered 0'ing everything and calling it quits.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Sorry, but you're screwed unless you have a backup. If you have a LOT of time, you could edit "[your home account]/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml". By hand. For every song.

The counts are all stored in that file. Each song has an entry, and the play counts are in the entry for each song.

4. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

You mean like when your in photoshop and you make a mistake the go to Edit>Undo. Is that what your talking about? Because if it is, there is no way that I know of to do that with a folder.

And getting back you playcounts is impossible unless you have a back up or an iPod.

All your ratings, play counts, play times, etc. are store in the iTunes Music Library.xml file located in your iTunes folder (but you should also not that the name of the song, genre, artist, and album are part of the actual mp3 file). I had a corruption of that file once, and lost everything. So now I do a kind of temporary back up. All I do is right click and select 'Create Archive of xxxxxx' I do that about once a week. So if my .xml file gets screwed up, I've got a second copy that I can replace it with.

EDIT: DAMN IT! I type wayyy to slow.

5. Tequila Grandma thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I pretty much figured I was screwed. Ahhhhhhh, sucky. 2 years worth of play counts now screwed up. So, how would one go about simply zeroing them all out? That seems to be my best option at this point.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Select all the tunes in your library (⌘-A), right/control click, and select "Reset Play Count". Shazam!

7. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

If you want to reset all the playcounts to zero, all you have to do is go into iTunes, press Apple+A then right click (or controll click) and select 'Reset Play Counts'. That will put everything back to zero.

8. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

NOOOOO!!!! How could you jsw?? This is the second time IN THE SAME THREAD!!!

I need to retake my tpying class at school..... :(

We said the exact same things! (except for me and the Shazam! part)

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Bwa ha ha ha! I have access to your Mac and can see what you're typing.... ;)

And I even took time to find the code for the '⌘' character....