is there anybody famous that was born in your home town?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jul 22, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

no person where i am from became famous

of course, with 4400 people, the odds are very slim indeed

in the neighboring city, which is more than ten times the population, pete incaviglia the baseball player is kind of a local hero there since he's the only hometown hero

and about 20 miles away, the local artichoke festival in castroville once had a relatively unknown los angeles starlet by the name of marilyn monroe come up here to be the event's first queen

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Elvis Stojko, the men's figure skater.

Hayden Christensen: aka - Anakin Skywalker/Darth.

Some pop group as well. They were big 2 summers ago.......and then they forced into involuntary retirement.

And FYI, I live in Vaughan, Ontario, Canada, which is a city directly adjacent to Toronto, the greatest city in the world. :cool:

*sigh*

If only that were true. :(

3. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Well, there was Kenny Rogers, he was born there.

Both Bushes lived there a while.

It was named after Sam Houston, but i don't know if that counts.

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

TONS of people from Austin, Texas.

Carol Burnett (1933 - ) Comedian and actress of “The Carol Burnett Show”; born in San Antonio.

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969) The 34th U.S. President (1953-1961); born in Denison.

Lyndon B. Johnson (1908 - 1973) The 36th U.S. President (1963-1969); born in Stonewall.

Dan Rather (1931 - ) TV newscaster and host of CBS Evening News; born in Wharton.

Steven Fuller Austin (1793 - 1836) Founding father of Texas and namesake of the state's capital.

George W. Bush (1946 - ) 43rd U.S. President; grew up in Midland and Houston.

Roy Orbison (1936 - 1988) Singer; born in Vernon.

Selena Perez (1971 - 1995) Famous Latin singer; born in Texarkana.

Willie Nelson (1933 - ) Country music singer and songwriter; born in Abbott.

Nolan Ryan (1947 - ) Baseball pitcher who pitched seven no-hitters; born in Refugio.

Sandra Day O'Connor (1930 - ) U.S. Supreme Court justice; born in El Paso.

Mary Kay Ash (1915 -2001) Cosmetics entrepreneur and founder of Mary Kay cosmetics; born in Hot Wells.

Clyde Barrow (1909 - 1934) Outlaw and partner in crime with Bonnie Parker; born in Teleco.

Buddy Holly (1936 - 1959) Musician, considered one of the fathers of rock 'n roll; born in Lubbock.

H. Ross Perot (1930 - ) Dallas computer billionaire, philanthropist, and independent (Reform Party) candidate for U.S. president in 1992 and 1996; born in Texarkana.

all those were from here

And there are soooo many others that are more pop-culture entertainers like weezer, matthew mcconaughey, and sheryl crow.

scem0

5. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Wait a minute.

jef, are we talking about where we came from or where we live now?

6. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Mr Bessemer inventor of the Bessemer Converter involved in the making of steel was born in Charlton that's barely a mile from where I live.

Oh and John Kettley (he's a weatherman) lives nearby (but Michael Fish doesn't - UK readers may understand the relevance of the last comment)

7. marcsiry macrumors member

I'm from New York City (born on 68th and York, in Manhattan).

I'm going to skip this poll.

Besides, everyone from New York City is famous in their own minds....:cool:

8. medea macrumors 68030

medea

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Calvin Burt, who I believe is racing Indy cars at the moment, and was racing British Touring Cars, lived in my road as a kid.

He had a little peddle racing car and told everyone he was going to be a racing driver when he grew up:D Kid knew what he wanted to do.

I also new Blaze Bailey well, late of Iron Maiden and Wolfsbane, they used to come to our gigs in the Tamworth Arts Centre in 1980/81.

Linzi Hately was jeff Hatelys sister, him: guitarist in Wolsfbane, her: London West End musical theatre leading lady.

And me of course, although 15 minutes is about all I was worth;) (don't pry I wont tell):p :p

10. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Off the top of my head:
    Sarah Hughes -- Winner of the Gold Medal Last Olympics

Rest are from here
    Billy Joel
    F. Scott Fitzgerald
    Charlie Chaplin
    W.C. Fields
    Joan Crawford
    Groucho Marx.
    Alan King
    Oscar Hammerstein

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

12. Frozone macrumors 6502

There have been a few Olympic Gold Medalist from my town(A Lil' under 20,000 people) and the one next to it(about 10,000). Charlie Ward wasn't born in my town but he grew up and went to high school here and his dad is a substitute at our highschool, who I have had a few times. Jackie Robinson was born in the town next to us. And then there is a bunch of other people that go on to be in the NFL and stuff like that since South Georgia's religion is football and were good at it.

13. iGav macrumors G3

errr....

Pete Waterman (Pop-tastic guru) :p

Clint Mansell (Ex-PWEI frontman and current soundtrack guru!) ;)

And of course, Peeping Tom and Lady Godiva.. (even though technically she wasn't from Coventry) heh-heh-heh!! :D

14. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

I used to live a couple of blocks away from the boyhood home of Theodore Kaczynski, aka the Unabomber.

15. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Nia Vardelos!

You know that chick from "My big fat greek A$$"

16. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Buzz Aldrin was born in my town, about two blocks from where I live, there's a rock with a plaque in front of his house.

Richard Burgi, a TV actor is from Montclair, NJ as well.

Several celebrities live in montclair but were not born there, there's actor Joe Morton, Yogi Berra, Olympia Dukakis (Ok, thats pushing 'celebrity'), Jackie Robinson lived here when he died, Michael Strahan of the NY Giants lives here, Christina Ricci wasn't born here, but grew up here and went to the public schools from '88 until '95 (she's in all the old yearbooks, its kinda cool).

Tom Cruise is from the town next to mine, Glen Ridge, but I guess that doesn't count.

17. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

..basically famous people who were born where you were born

and in my case, that's the same house:p

my grandmother used to live two houses away when she was alive and my parents are six blocks away...most of my clients in both businesses i have live in the same town...my pre-school, elementary, middle school, and high school are in the same town...so talk about all inclusive:p

18. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

just a few...

most recently Laurel Clark (astronaut aboard last columbia mission) RIP

but what's really big here?:
    william horlick <- inventor of malted milk, invented in racine, wi

global headquarters of:
    Modine
    TwinDisc
    In-Sink-Erator
    Case Tractors (Case-NewHolland)
    Dremel Tools

SC Johnson Wax (Glade, Raid, Off, Edge, etc, etc. etc...)

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What a lousy ad campaign that would make for your town. ;)

20. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

I was born in NYC so there are WAAY too many people to list...

I've lived in Binghamton since I was 13 so I can also call it my home, we've got...

Edward Johnson and Henry B. Endicott who formed Endicott-Johnson Shoe Co.

IBM was also founded in Endicott

Rod Serling, of the Twilight Zone, was born, raised and lived in Binghamton.

Johnny Hart, the cartoonist of BC and the Wizard of Id.

Binghamton is also famous for Dr. Kilmer's Swamp Root and the invention of margarine.

21. Pete_Hoover macrumors regular

Famous People......

None that I can really think of off the top of my head, since technically I live in a town of 3,000 people right out of Fort Worth, Texas. Therefore I can't really name people from Fort Worth. But more recently, Kelly Clarkson emerged and she was from about 15 miles from here. Well, I'm spent.

22. dreamlance macrumors regular

Allie Landry (Miss USA), Chanda Reubin (tennis), Hollis Conway (track), Jake Delhomme and Ryan Guidry (both NFL). I think Richard Simmons went to our university. Can't say if he was born here though. Ernest Gaines currently lives here as our writer-in-residence. I went swimming with him the other day.

23. dave1234 macrumors regular

I am from Minnesota, and the Heavy Metal band
    American Headcharge came out of Minnesota. Thats about it for Minnesota, Cept for our big mall and big treatment center.