Is there anyone here that has a Mac but does NOT have a Windows PC?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Gary King, May 30, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502

Is there anyone here that has a Mac but does NOT have a Windows PC at the same time? In the same household, anyways?

Just curious as to whether having a Windows PC is entirely optional - at least for some people.

And, if you only use your Mac for less than, say, an hour a week... then you don't count :p

2. macrumors G4

Applespider

I think you'll find quite a lot of us.

I have a Mac at home but no PC (I got rid of it in December 03). I use a PC at work but prefer working at home - I can do everything I need to on my Mac at home.

3. macrumors 65816

zach

I have a PC.

It's been on without a reboot for 6 months now, it also has no monitor hooked up to it.

It runs Linux :D

4. macrumors 603

wordmunger

I have 5 Macs and no PCs; haven't ever had a PC in the house -- I "switched" from a Commodore 64 in 1987. I did briefly own a PC for my business, which I used for testing Web sites and for running QuickBooks for the period when there wasn't a Mac version.

About the only reason I can think of for wanting a PC now would be the same: testing Web sites to make sure they work cross-platform.

5. macrumors 6502

No PC's here and I will never buy one again....Unless it runs OS X ;)

6. macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

I have no PCs. My PM is my main machine and I have a G3 iMac from '99. I use PCs at work but thats because we have a custom system - Starkis anybody? :p . Never needed, nor wanted, a PC and I can't envision ever buying one :D

7. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't own a PC at the moment, but have in the past. I use them sometimes at school -- primarily for stats software that isn't available or doesn't work well on Macs.

8. Moderator emeritus

I've not had a real x86 machine in house since 1993 when I got my first Mac. I've had Virtual PC for emulating a Windows machine but I haven't even had that running for months and haven't found a real need.

There are incompatibilities because some websites are created for Internet Exploder and some use Active X plug-ins but for the most part, I have no real need of Windows. Optional need has to do with a sudden need for laughter and/or frustration. :p

9. Moderator

Mitthrawnuruodo

Staff Member

Only two operating computers in our household: My girlfriends Pismo and my iBook G4. No Windows in sight... ;)

(I also have 4 non-operational computers in the basement, a Pentium III 450 with some Linux distribution on it (RedHat 9, I think it was) and a Power Mac 7500, Performa 630 and Performa 475 running respectively Mac OS 9.1, 8.6 and 7.6 (as far as I can remember, I haven't fired any of those up for quite a while...)

10. macrumors member

Mine was an all Apple and/or Mac home from elementary school through college, when I was forced to buy a PC to run some required programs. That POS laptop lasted almost exactly 1 year before it died on me, and I switched back as soon as I could get away.

The broken wreck of a laptop is still in the closet, so I suppose I can't say I don't have a PC in the house, but I can say that I don't have a working PC around.

Now if only I could get rid of the machine at the office....

Kush

11. macrumors 68020

Macky-Mac

no PC here either.....had one back in the late 1980s but it's been Macs only ever since

12. macrumors member

Yeah! No Windows for me. Doubt I ever will.

We'd never had a pc at my folks' home either: Went from an Atari ST to an LC II to a 7200 to our B&W.

-Until my dad's school bought him a Windows lappie to do his teaching stuff on.

13. macrumors newbie

SteveZissou

I have only even owned macs in my adult life.
    I can do everything and anything my PC brethen can, just a lot faster, better and without viruses!

14. macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I've had 7 macs since 1985. I've never owned a PC, though I do use them at work. Unless there is a special program that you must use a PC for (that is, a very specific program for your work) you can do everything on a mac with greater efficiency and better workflow.

15. macrumors 68030

munkle

I've got a couple of old PC's lying about, haven't booted them up for a long time though! I think most Mac users are familiar with Windows and are thus better equipped to discuss the merits of both platforms, whilst most avid Windows users still equate Macs with System 7 :eek: :p

16. macrumors 6502a

Powerbook at home, Dell at work, and looking for a new contract. :)

17. macrumors 6502a

law guy

I have a thinkpad issued by my IT Dept and updated every two years or so. We have some PC skeletons that we actually own. A compaq PC in parts (one of the budget ones that was junk when it was brand new - used it for only two years or so) and a Toshiba Satallite Pro 440CDT - still runs (VERY slowly) Win 98 - it has a 133 Mhz Pentium (with MMX) and 80 MB of RAM (with the upgraded memory). It just refuses to die (Toshibas were THE business notebook back in 97 in the PC world and the things are built like tanks) so it lingers around the house for my daughter to pretend to type on from time-to-time (the keyboard was great to begin with - really over built as it still has great feel after much toddler abuse). My wife and I went through a bunch of PCs between my IIsi and my G4 PM. They each only seemed to last a few years - almost felt like they were designed to be disposable (Toshiba and IBM business notebooks excluded). :rolleyes:

18. macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

i've never owned a PC in my life... or have ever had one in my house longer than a day. Never plan on owning one... unless apple disappears somehow

19. macrumors 68020

daveL

I exorcized Windows from our house last year. We have 3 Macs. I also have an AMD server for running Linux distros and Solaris.

20. macrumors member

Never owned a Windows PC, my Mac works better for everything except gaming, my xbox works better for games.

21. macrumors G5

nagromme

Well, I still own a PC but I never turn it on anymore... and I own Virtual PC and I never use THAT anymore either.

I only ever needed a PC for compatibility with Windows clients of my business, in certain rare and specific situations specific to my field. Those have long since changed, and although I like the "idea" that I can turn on the PC if I need to test something... it doesn't actually come up in practice.

Most of the Mac owners I know did not keep their old machine either.

So yes, owning a PC is most certainly optional for many, even most, people.

The need for a PC means the need for a specific, vital app that you can't find an equivalent for on Mac. So it really only applies in very specific cases. It's not exactly rare to find someone who has ONE of those cases apply to them. But it's certainly not at all rare for someone to have none of those cases apply. Then you're Windows-free :)

22. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I have a PC its gathering dust out back,but it was handy a few weeks ago when my mates videocard went west,I hauled out the old 3dlabs card stuck it in his and bob's your uncle(been in britspeak thread :) ).

23. macrumors 601

ITASOR

We have a DELL and my dad has a XP laptop. I have the same laptop, but I'm trying to sell it to convert 100% to Macs. It's in my sig. I want a 12" PB!

24. macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I couldn't live without my PC. Sure the mac is great, but I kill my friend on his 1.67ghz Powerbook 128 ATi 9700 at various games. Macs just don't game.

25. Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Never owned a PC, never used on at work either, it's always been either Macs or Atari's in the studios, and we have a 100% Mac dept in the Uni.

I hope to be able to go my entire adult life without using a PC.... Well, assuming they stay as far behind the Apple OS that is, I'm not going to use a system out of blind loyalty if it's crap.

My family is joining in too, my sister now has an eMac and my mum is going to buy an iMac when she moves into her new house in July... :D