Is there anything like this for Mac?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by IEatApples, May 3, 2006.

1. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

I just wondered if there is any way of doing the same thing on a Mac?
    If anyone knows a (easy) way of doing this then please let me know. :)
    GoToMyPC is another one, but it's not free.

2. IEatApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

3. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I do believe there is but cant remember the app.:eek:

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

6. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

Timbuktu Pro. Cross-platform (Mac and Windows), remote desktop, IP finding for DHCP-assigned IPs, and file transfer.

Not freeware though.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Just turn on Apple Remote Desktop in the sharing preferences and get a free VNC viewer such as Chicken of the VNC.

8. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Wouldn't just turning on Personal File Sharing, remembering the afp:// link enable you to access and mount your HD on any mac you choose? I do this quite regularly with my PB and my iMac, but always at home through an ad hoc network, never across the web, but I'd assume it would work the same. And it's all built in, no need for anything else :confused:

9. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I didn't realize Apple Remote Desktop worked with any standar VNC client. Handy to know.

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You don't get access to all the neat features (like being able to run software updates or install apps without looking in), but you get the basic RD stuff.

11. IEatApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

:) Thanks for all the help :)

My use would be mostly transferring large files between two Macs, but from a large distance. Sometimes even the occasional PC ( :eek: ) at my college. If the afp:// would work for this then that's what I'm looking for. I'm currently using it at home, but that's a local network.

I appreciate all the help :)

– Mitra.

12. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

If you are just transferring files then you could just set up FTP and use that.

13. IEatApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

That's true :) :eek: :D
    Are there any issues regarding firewall for FTP or afp:// :confused:
    My dorm is all "walled" up.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm...this might have been a valuable thing to begin with. :eek: ;) :D

So you have a computer behind a firewall, with all incoming ports blocked, right? Are you even allowed to run a webserver from this computer, and see it from the outside?

You want to access that computer from outside the firewall, initiating the connection from the outside. I don't think that's possible without a firewall port being made available to your computer.

15. IEatApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

I know LimeWire is telling me that I can't use direct connections to IP-addresses. Does this exclude the possibilities for FTP and afp:// :confused: if so, any other way to transfer large (50MB<) files from behind a firewall? And I won't get a port opened for me. iChat works, and I have been sending small (5MB>) files using that. So, any ideas?

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's not ideal, but can you use some sort of netdrive type of thing? (something like briefcase.yahoo.com or netdrive.com...) Or do you have a share filespace that you can access on school servers, to which you can upload from your computer in the dorm, and then download from somewhere else?

17. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I've found that turning on the Personal Web Sharing in System Preferences does the trick nicely for transferring large files. Just turn it on, go to your Sites folder in your Home directory, create a folder called "files", and throw anything you want into it. Then from your other computer, go to the address http://youripaddress/~yourusername/files/ and there should be a list of your files there. (The root address should also be available in the same pane that you used to turn on Web Sharing...just add a files/ to the end of it)

Basically what you've done is you've turned your computer into a website server, and your other computer is connecting directly to it and downloading files. Works like a charm and is SO much faster than sharing services! PCs should also have no problem accessing your computer, since it's just a website.

Just as a disclaimer though, I tried using this at my university a little while ago, and it would only work when I was plugged directly into the ResNet service (just a fancy name for residence network), but it refused to work when I was on my own local subnet through my Airport Express.

Hope that helps!

18. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Oh, and make sure that your server computer doesn't go to sleep or anything. :rolleyes:

19. IEatApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Hello again Mohan :)
    I don't think so, and this is scaring me a bit. Me and a friend was planning on buying XBOX 360s and play vs. on the net, but I have a bad feeling this might not work due to the firewall? Or will this work anyway?
    Thanks, but I don't think it'll work behind the firewall.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You might have more luck for that. My understanding is that you don't need open ports to play network games on an XBOX -- you both connect to the gaming server or whatever it's called, and that circumvents this requirement. So you might be in luck for that.

I think you're out of luck, though, as far as the other thing is concerned, my friend. :(

21. IEatApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Not sure, :D or :( , but don't worry it's all :cool:
    Oh well, we can't have everything, can we?
    Although, as I am a Mac user it feels strange, and hard to accept. :D :) ;) :p