Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Rip out everything but the LCD, inverter, and the backlight and toss it in the trash, get a new power supply and a new DVI cable and you have yourself a nifty $1300 17" LCD monitor.

Something that you could easily have bought from Dell for slightly over a couple hundred. :p

Of course this will probably destroy the iMac G5, so you'll need a new one of those. :rolleyes:

Buy an old iMac G5 case and stick an LCD monitor inside, it'll be a lot less expensive.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
Each time I read one of these posts the only question that comes to mind is: WHY??? the iMac G5 is not an outdated machine where you still have a good monitor left...

Hmm let's think... because nobody produces a TFT with spoiler AKA built-in Post-it parking??

for $799 you get the nice apple 20 display... wich sounds better to me than ruining a perfectly good iMac G5 :p

oh, I hear you think: but that's DVI not VGA... well there are enough manufacturors who build TFT's with vga options... LaCie offers VGA-DVI displays... wich look sleek and with some DIY you can add the spoiler underneath & paint it white...

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Sun Baked said:
Rip out everything but the LCD, inverter, and the backlight and toss it in the trash, get a new power supply and a new DVI cable and you have yourself a nifty $1300 17" LCD monitor.

Something that you could easily have bought from Dell for slightly over a couple hundred. :p

Of course this will probably destroy the iMac G5, so you'll need a new one of those. :rolleyes:

Buy an old iMac G5 case and stick an LCD monitor inside, it'll be a lot less expensive.

Whoa, there. I think he/she was referring to hooking a monitor to the iMac as another display device, not turning the iMac into a display device. :)

EDIT: Then again, maybe not. Everytime I re-read the original post, I can't figure out what he/she is doing. :confused:

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
You can use Maxivista to span your PCs screen across multiple computers on a network. Their FAQ states that if you want to use a Mac as a second monitor then to run VPC.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
belvdr said:
Whoa, there. I think he/she was referring to hooking a monitor to the iMac as another display device, not turning the iMac into a display device. :)

EDIT: Then again, maybe not. Everytime I re-read the original post, I can't figure out what he/she is doing. :confused:

if the person who asked this wants to hook up another monitor... READ the manual :p and check this out: http://www.apple.com/imac/graphics.html
there is a hack somewhere to even allow screenspanning instead of mirroring...

but it really sounds the other way around in an effort to just use the display (to hook up a fugly pc?? you can buy a nice apple 20" and hook it up to it... as far as I know you can even use apple keyboard & mouse in windows... so put the pc behind the desk and make everything on the desk apple... off course the teletubbies look of XP will ruin the magic :p)

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
There is a port on the back that will allow you to hook up mini-DVI to it. The iMac comes with an adapter from mini-DVI to full DVI. From there you should easily be able to obtain a DVI to VGA adapter. (Either from Apple or another store).

BTW people, many new flat panels still ship only with VGA (As every single flat panel at my university is a VGA only system.)

TEG

tomacintosh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
Hey guys, yes I'm talking about hooking up a PC to my iMac screen, the reason being, I'm always fixing family and friends PC's but since I sold my PC and moved to a 20" iMac G5 I can't do it anymore. I'd love to have the option there. Is there no way of reversing the DVI out? Or even a USB VGA device?

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
The iMac G5 does not have DVI out, only AGP out and its not reversible. Also usb vga capture device are very expensive VGA2USB
Costs 399$!!
You would be better of getting a cheap crt monitor (On newegg you can get a 17 flat screen crt for 95$) Then when youre not reparing pc's you can use it as an external display for your imac.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
tomimacg5 said:
Hey guys, yes I'm talking about hooking up a PC to my iMac screen, the reason being, I'm always fixing family and friends PC's but since I sold my PC and moved to a 20" iMac G5 I can't do it anymore. I'd love to have the option there. Is there no way of reversing the DVI out? Or even a USB VGA device?
Why not? Tell them to bring the monitor if they want it fixed.

Will make them think a little harder about simply dropping machines off, if it's a bigger PIA.

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
tomimacg5 said:

You got a mac. Stop fixing their PC's and make them switch! :D

Seriously though, that's awfully nice of you. After I switched (except for at work), I hardly have problems any more, I don't think about those things any more.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
fartheststar said:
You got a mac. Stop fixing their PC's and make them switch! :D

Seriously though, that's awfully nice of you. After I switched (except for at work), I hardly have problems any more, I don't think about those things any more.

But without Windows, there would be no need for Tech support people. Think about all the people who would lose their jobs. :)

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
what about hooking it up to your network and using Remote Desktop Connection? You'd have to know how to get to it (i.e ip address, login, etc.), but if you can figure that out you're set...

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
TDM21 said:
But without Windows, there would be no need for Tech support people. Think about all the people who would lose their jobs. :)
Yes, an unemployed Bill Gates would destroy the world.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
haha fixing pc's... well I finally got all my friends to switch in the past 2 years... and now I still do tech support for them... and its soooo easy :p
and indeed need fixing: bring your whole system incl monitor... no need to F*** up you iMac just because they buy windows :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.