Is there anyway of plugging a VGA device into my iMac G5?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tomacintosh, Sep 10, 2005.

1. tomacintosh macrumors regular

2. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

You'd have to do some serious rewiring...so probably not. I don't think anyone's even tried this since the CRT iMacs died.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Rip out everything but the LCD, inverter, and the backlight and toss it in the trash, get a new power supply and a new DVI cable and you have yourself a nifty $1300 17" LCD monitor.

Something that you could easily have bought from Dell for slightly over a couple hundred. :p

Of course this will probably destroy the iMac G5, so you'll need a new one of those. :rolleyes:

Buy an old iMac G5 case and stick an LCD monitor inside, it'll be a lot less expensive.

4. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

Each time I read one of these posts the only question that comes to mind is: WHY??? the iMac G5 is not an outdated machine where you still have a good monitor left...

Hmm let's think... because nobody produces a TFT with spoiler AKA built-in Post-it parking??

for $799 you get the nice apple 20 display... wich sounds better to me than ruining a perfectly good iMac G5 :p

oh, I hear you think: but that's DVI not VGA... well there are enough manufacturors who build TFT's with vga options... LaCie offers VGA-DVI displays... wich look sleek and with some DIY you can add the spoiler underneath & paint it white...

5. belvdr macrumors 601

Whoa, there. I think he/she was referring to hooking a monitor to the iMac as another display device, not turning the iMac into a display device. :)

EDIT: Then again, maybe not. Everytime I re-read the original post, I can't figure out what he/she is doing. :confused:

6. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

You can use Maxivista to span your PCs screen across multiple computers on a network. Their FAQ states that if you want to use a Mac as a second monitor then to run VPC.

7. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

if the person who asked this wants to hook up another monitor... READ the manual :p and check this out: http://www.apple.com/imac/graphics.html
    there is a hack somewhere to even allow screenspanning instead of mirroring...

but it really sounds the other way around in an effort to just use the display (to hook up a fugly pc?? you can buy a nice apple 20" and hook it up to it... as far as I know you can even use apple keyboard & mouse in windows... so put the pc behind the desk and make everything on the desk apple... off course the teletubbies look of XP will ruin the magic :p)

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

There is a port on the back that will allow you to hook up mini-DVI to it. The iMac comes with an adapter from mini-DVI to full DVI. From there you should easily be able to obtain a DVI to VGA adapter. (Either from Apple or another store).

BTW people, many new flat panels still ship only with VGA (As every single flat panel at my university is a VGA only system.)

TEG

9. tomacintosh thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys, yes I'm talking about hooking up a PC to my iMac screen, the reason being, I'm always fixing family and friends PC's but since I sold my PC and moved to a 20" iMac G5 I can't do it anymore. I'd love to have the option there. Is there no way of reversing the DVI out? Or even a USB VGA device?

10. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

The iMac G5 does not have DVI out, only AGP out and its not reversible. Also usb vga capture device are very expensive VGA2USB
    Costs 399$!!
    You would be better of getting a cheap crt monitor (On newegg you can get a 17 flat screen crt for 95$) Then when youre not reparing pc's you can use it as an external display for your imac.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Why not? Tell them to bring the monitor if they want it fixed.

Will make them think a little harder about simply dropping machines off, if it's a bigger PIA.

12. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

You got a mac. Stop fixing their PC's and make them switch! :D

Seriously though, that's awfully nice of you. After I switched (except for at work), I hardly have problems any more, I don't think about those things any more.

13. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

But without Windows, there would be no need for Tech support people. Think about all the people who would lose their jobs. :)

14. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

what about hooking it up to your network and using Remote Desktop Connection? You'd have to know how to get to it (i.e ip address, login, etc.), but if you can figure that out you're set...

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, an unemployed Bill Gates would destroy the world.

16. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

haha fixing pc's... well I finally got all my friends to switch in the past 2 years... and now I still do tech support for them... and its soooo easy :p
    and indeed need fixing: bring your whole system incl monitor... no need to F*** up you iMac just because they buy windows :p