Is there anyway to change the processor in MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RandyOrton, Feb 14, 2007.

1. RandyOrton macrumors newbie

I was woundering if I could put this one in it.

AMD Processor, Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 2.0GHz, 512KB(x2), 1600MHz FSB, 35W

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Another Core Duo or Core 2 Duo could be put in place with a lot of work but other processors are incompatible.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

alot of work and alot of skill as it means unsoldering the old cpu and soldering in a new one. i dont think its worth it at all

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Please stop asking.

Macs are built as appliances.

Do you buy a fridge and go "hey can I change the compressor on my Korean built LG fridge to one of those new compressor units made by Daikin"?

Do you buy a car and go "hey I want to change my Honda engine to a Ferrari engine but still retain the body of the car"?

Why then do people keep asking "hey I bought a Mac and I want to change so-and-so component to some-other component?"

When the time comes to upgrade just put the whole computer one eBay (if it is still useful) or dump it into the trash and buy a new one. That's the Macintosh way. In fact my last line came from one of those Mac switcheur videos on YouTube, so you might want to look it up :rolleyes:

5. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

That's a downright stupid statement. PCs aren't sold as "appliances", so why are macs? Anyway the answer was no: the processor is soldered onto the motherboard and there is little chance of being able to change it without detstroying everything, let alone making it worthwhile.

Many laptops are upgradeable, not this one, which is one of its (relatively few) flaws.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There is a way with a rework station.

But it isn't a simple soldering iron swap, and the labor bill will likely be more than simply selling the machine on eBay and buying a new one.