Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qwerty11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Is there not any way to connect a cellular modem to the iPad?

Last edited by a moderator:

Qwerty11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
I can use anyone. I need it however to be physically tethered not connected via wifi.

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Not that I can think of - the 30 pin and Lightning Dock Connectors don't seem to allow the functionality for a USB-to-RJ45 connector... or anything else, for that matter. Nor are there drivers to allow the iPad to use the external connector to communicate like that, that I'm aware of.

Either you get a Portable WiFi hotspot, or you get a WiFi + Cellular model. I don't even think you can tether with Bluetooth on the iPad. At least, I don't recall support for the Bluetooth DUN profile.

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
Physically tether via a cable a cellular modem to an iPad.

You are not describing your end goal. There are many solutions that don't involve a cable.

TELL US WHAT YOURE REALLY TRYING TO DO AND WE CAN HELP

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
You are not describing your end goal. There are many solutions that don't involve a cable.

TELL US WHAT YOURE REALLY TRYING TO DO AND WE CAN HELP

I suspect he has an old cell modem and doesn't want to pony up the money for a wifi hotspot or an iPad 4G with Cellular.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Maybe he doesn't understand MiFis. Look at this one for example: They are small and have rechargeable, and in some cases replaceable batteries.

DSC_3813_610x407.JPG

Roadking

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
Some companies restrict wifi usage in the workspace while allowing cellular coverage. So while having an iPhone that is connected over 3G / 4G would be acceptable, a "hockey puck" using wifi to connect, would not

mihilie

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2013
I don't think the question was answered, I have the same need

I would like to reiterate the original question: WIRED connection is needed between iPad (in my case 4th generation) and a cellular modem. Another example would be a WiFi external device. Reason? To limit the level of EMF radiation the user is exposed to.

Details I am interested in:
- would a Lighting/ USB adapter do the trick?
- what kind of modems you've heard about/ used
- any limitations on the length of the cable?

Thank you in advance.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
there are no modems that attach directly to the iPad.

A wired connection between an iPad and a cellular modem just to eliminate EMF??? the modem itself emits radiation.

Even a lightning to usb adapter isn't going to do anything without support in IOS/hardware. AFAIK the only way to communicate to the web from an iPad is either wi-fi or cellular using built in hardware.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
I would like to reiterate the original question: WIRED connection is needed between iPad (in my case 4th generation) and a cellular modem. Another example would be a WiFi external device. Reason? To limit the level of EMF radiation the user is exposed to.

Details I am interested in:
- would a Lighting/ USB adapter do the trick?
- what kind of modems you've heard about/ used
- any limitations on the length of the cable?

Thank you in advance.

You should be more worried about the EMF radiation from the sun, radio transmission towers, and microwaves than you should about WiFi. That beautiful stuff flowing from your computer screen, phone screen, and light bulbs (aka light) is also EMF. The infrared radiation emitted by warm-blooded animals? EMF. Sun rays? EMF.

And I don't think you can use a wired internet connection for an iPad, that would defeat the purpose of a portable device anyway.

mihilie

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2013
You should be more worried about the EMF radiation from the sun, radio transmission towers, and microwaves than you should about WiFi. That beautiful stuff flowing from your computer screen, phone screen, and light bulbs (aka light) is also EMF. The infrared radiation emitted by warm-blooded animals? EMF. Sun rays? EMF.

And I don't think you can use a wired internet connection for an iPad, that would defeat the purpose of a portable device anyway.

Thank you for your suggestions on how _should_ I be concerned or not about EMF or about the portability of portable devices but I have a pretty clear idea on that respect. I would appreciate answers focused on what I am interested to clarify. I truly believe my question was pretty accurate.

mihilie

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2013
there are no modems that attach directly to the iPad.

A wired connection between an iPad and a cellular modem just to eliminate EMF??? the modem itself emits radiation.

Even a lightning to usb adapter isn't going to do anything without support in IOS/hardware. AFAIK the only way to communicate to the web from an iPad is either wi-fi or cellular using built in hardware.

Thank you for your response. The intensity of the EMF field decreases with the square of the distance, so, keeping the modem 3 ft away makes a big difference vs. keeping the iPad on your lap. On the same principle work the air tube headsets, providing you hold the phone at a distance from your body. Obviously, my aim is not to completely isolate myself from EMF, but to find a feasible compromise.

Back to the technical solution, you are saying that, regardless of the Lighting/ USB "conversion", there is actually no support in the iOS. Interesting...

Thank you again!

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
Thank you for your suggestions on how _should_ I be concerned or not about EMF or about the portability of portable devices but I have a pretty clear idea on that respect. I would appreciate answers focused on what I am interested to clarify. I truly believe my question was pretty accurate.

Read the bottom of my post ;)
There's no way. :rolleyes:

Still don't get why you're worried about WiFi (aka radio) waves, but I don't wear tin foil as a fashion accessory so I guess I'll remain ignorant.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Back to the technical solution, you are saying that, regardless of the Lighting/ USB "conversion", there is actually no support in the iOS. Interesting...
Right. It's not just a matter of adapting the connections. The iPad would have to support peripherals like that via USB.

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Short form: the driver support isn't there in iOS for external peripherals or wired networking, and the port doesn't seem to support that type of communication. Nor is there the DUN profile for using an external modem.

As an aside, I suspect the EMR from a wifi connection a foot away would be far less than that for a cell modem 3 feet away - the latter has higher penetrative power due to the need for a cell signal to carry long distances (hundreds of meters, through buildings). It's like trying to protect yourself from skin cancer caused by sun exposure by using indoor tanning beds five times weekly.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
If your worried about EMF wouldn't you be better off with a hot spot since it could be placed farther away from you?

mihilie

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2013
takeshi74, Haesslich, Capt T - thank you for your feedback!

I agree that wifi radiation is a lot less than the cell radiation as afar as Wattage goes, but I'd like to have a comprehensive approach - I don't know how much the wifi channel width will grow in the future (wider obviously means more radiation). And I am not sure I agree with "EMF from a wifi connection a foot away" (as Haesslich said) - the tablet sometimes sits on your lap, meaning INCHES from your body. As I already mentioned - the intensity of the EMF field decreases with the square of the distance.

I don't want to dive here into the effects (acknowledged or not by the industry) of EMF (I am an electronic engineer and I'd like to believe I am not paranoid), but I want to see how far I can go on protecting against EMF.

It is very unfortunate the wired networking was totally taken out of the picture. I guess the hot spot proposed by Capt T is the only viable solution, along with a "policy" of not holding the tablet on your lap.

Another option - pretty extreme :) - would be to hook an adapter of some kind directly to the circuit board. Obviously not easy.

Again, thank you for your help!

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Or get a lead apron from a dentist supply house and drape that over your lap.

mihilie

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2013
Or get a lead apron from a dentist supply house and drape that over your lap.

Great idea! If you can point me to such store I will tell you where you can find some horse blinds to help you provide more valuable answers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.