Is there anyway to tell what is taking up space on my computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by GKDAIR, May 17, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

So I have 42 gigs worth of apps and I honestly have NO idea where it's all coming from.

I have no apps from itunes, and I don't have any games installed on my computer, except for Sims 3.

I can't tell what exactly is causing so much space to be taken up. The only other apps I have are simple apps that only take a few megabytes, nothing that takes up gigs. Even total there's no way it's 42 gigs, I'd be surprised if it's even over 3-4 gigs.

2. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

There are some free apps that will tell you and some paid ones as well. I happen to use a paid one called DaisyDisk.

3. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain: For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply: Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

4. macrumors 65816

another vote for daisydis. is awesome.

5. macrumors 65816

You could run Onyx (app) to do a clean?

6. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

That info comes from the Spotlight index and sometimes it gets corrupted and causes wrong info to show. Try a Spotlight reindex by running the command below in Terminal, then check the reading again.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /

7. GKDAIR, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013

thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I had DasiyDisk as well, I ran it and it only showed about 20+ gigs worth of stuff,

The "Other" section is fine, it was "Apps" that was taking up so much space.

I ran that command and right now I am waiting for it to finish.

Ok, the command worked. It cleared up a good 20 gigs and now everything looks in order. Thanks! I gotta remember that command.