is there quick way to req. passwrd on screen saver?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by flyfish29, Nov 2, 2006.

1. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

So I know you can go through the system prefs and click security and then click "require password on wake up from screen saver" but I would like to easily do this with a key command toggle or other way- any ideas?

Right now I keep sys. prefs open and click the yellow to put it in the dock- that is pretty simple but it keeps getting closed accidently.

FYI- I want to change this setting every other day as I only work every other day- the other days I want to not mess with it at home.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Open Keychain Access and in the preferences (General), select "Show Status in Menu Bar". It'll add a little lock icon to your menu bar...clicking it gives you the option to lock your keychain (passwords) or to lock your screen, which activates your screensaver and requires a password to wake.

3. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Thanks- not exactly what I wanted but it makes it easy to lock it when I want for a one time lock or to open the security prefs quickly. unfortunately if you select "lock screen" it only locks it on one occasion, then reverts back to the settings. I hope apple adds the flexiblitiy to have a menu item in that menu bar menu to toggle the password screen saver on and off.

Again, thanks for the help. gets me closer to what I want.

4. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

you might like this: DashDock. you can add the exact System Preference pane to dashboard, for quick access. I use it to put my display to sleep at night :)

5. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I will check it out- thanks!