Is there really for need for AntiVirus? God...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macintoshxiii, Feb 13, 2007.

1. macintoshxiii macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

Well, as far as i know and uses mac.... there are absolutely no worries with engaging some stupid worms or virus in mac.... other than the windows which are more prone and fatal towards them. Recently I had a email from some anti-virus company and introduced a "product" called the Virus Barrier X4 http://www.intego.com/virusbarrier/and it's not a free program, you pay when ya satisfied with the demo. What really bother me was not the virus but is there such a need for mac? Antivirus? I tried the demo and scan through my system... only one of my files in ext hdd had an infected file and it doesn't seem harmful at all! And is it neccessary for this? Someone pls tell me.... [​IMG]

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

No, it's not necessary. But they'll certainly sell you something if you'll buy it.

About the only thing OS X users have to worry about at this point is passing along infected files to folks who use Windows. Use the free ClamXav for scans to look for anything like that.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Considering there's no known OS X viruses in the wild, either the file it found is a virus for Windows, or you wrote your own virus (not likely). Ergo, no, you don't need it.. but you might want to look into what it thinks is bad. It could be serious, but it could be what's considered a "joke" file that Norton AV likes to pick up on my PC box.

4. macintoshxiii thread starter macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

So use ClamXav will be good enough? Can we get rid of infected files before sending to other parties? Or no cure for infected files scanned?

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It will just slow down your system, email (mostly) has virus scan built in...and most PCs are protected...

6. macintoshxiii thread starter macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

I see... thank you for your advise. However, can I ask you guys how can I know that I have fully utilized my powerbook performance to the max? Or how can I do that? Memory, speed etc.