Is there something wrong with my G5 iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by lindstrom, Sep 22, 2006.

1. lindstrom macrumors member

Hello!

I got a refurbished G5 iPod jsut the other day as a birthday gift. Of course I was very happy about that, having had my trusty but rather bulky G3 for almost 3 years now. But the more I used my G5 the more worried I got.

When I am listening to a song and decide to go to another playlist and look for a song that I want to listen to, the scrolling is rahter choppy and slow. It flows a lot better when I pause the current song and then start scrolling through a playlist or my library. When I compared it with my old G3 the difference was noticable.

So my question now is: do I need to send in mt iPod for service? Or is this just something that occurs because I have art cover for almost every CD? I did talk to a Apple Tech-guy today and it sounded as if he really did not get what I was talking about but told me to send it in. So I have gone through Apples service request thing online and a box with instructions will be shipped next week.

But after I did this I got a bit hesitant. Asked a friend of mine who has a G5 and he said it looked to work ok. Am I seeing faults that are not present?

Any help, input or advice would be very appreciated.

Best,
    Erik

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Your experience is similar to mine, as far as comparing the 3G to the 5G. Scrolling through songs, playlists, or even fast forwarding yields much smoother responses on my 3g then my 5g.

I think they need to do some polishing on the 5G UI still, however most people don't notice this, as the 5G is most likely their first iPod, or not ?

BTW

Do you have a brother named John ? Screen name and first name sound quite familiar :) .

3. lindstrom thread starter macrumors member

No brother named John, I'm afraid :). Lindström is a pretty common name.

So you are saying that there is nothing wrong with my iPod and that I do not need to send it in to Apple for service?

/Erik

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

That is completely up-to you, however what you are explaining sounds common for the 5G ipod. it is quite possible that yours has a minor memory issue, or something along those lines, but it is hard to tell.

Gotcha on the last name ;) it is just not many people use the "Erik" spelling, and I know an Erik Lindstrom :)

5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, I've noticed the choppiness on my 5G as well. I figure it's the price we pay for the snazzy highlight gradient.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I too agree. 5g's are little sluggish when scrolling. I wouldnt worry about it. Myabe try finding a video of a %g in action and compare it to yours?

7. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

I was also having similar problems with my iPod. I restored the iPod using the software and it seemed to take care of the problem. I haven't had any issues in several months since I restored the software.

8. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Is that the new super secret model everyone is talking about ;)

I know, I know, you mean 5g :)

Great idea on the video though!

Mine has been deleted and restored 3 times now (installed iPod linux beta's) and the problem still exists. I still think it is a hardware and or UI issue, but nothing to be worried about.

9. lindstrom thread starter macrumors member

Erik is spelled the way it is because I am Swedish :). Vert common over there.

Okej, so I will go to my local Apple Store this weekend, hopefully, and try out one of their iPods. If it acts in the same manner I won't send it to Apple.

Thank you all for your inputs, I really appreciate your help!

/Erik

10. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Apple should put more RAM in the iPod 5G...

The 30GB has 32MB RAM, and the 60GB/80GB has 64MB RAM.

11. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

This is the ONE thing that has bugged me about my new 80 gig iPod. The scrolling is choppy and sluggish, nothing like my iPod Photo which is very fluid and quick. It's frustrating trying to navigate through albums when it's like this. I hope it's just a matter of a firmware update and not the hardware.

Fix the sluggish scrolling, Apple. Please! :mad:

12. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

album art

i remember reading something about this on the forums a while back, i think there is something you do with unloading and reloading album art through itunes. cant remember the exact process tho...

13. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It's annoyed me as well, though I do like when I scroll through either songs or albums where it's sorted by name, if you go fast for just a bit, it just scrolls letter by letter, with a little popup box on the screen showing which letter you're on. Most ingenious scrolling ever since the scroll wheel came out. I wish the regular scrolling was snappier too.

The Masin9, if you could track that down, it'd be awesome. I'd love to speed it up.

jW

14. nitynate macrumors 6502a

15. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

Seriously....it must get really hot. You should get the new Xeon ipod...I hear those are great, and run cooler.