Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sandy Santra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Brooklyn
Bought a fully loaded IPP 12" last week. Have not yet turned on my iPad's cellular service. Every time I get ready to, I have problems with the SIM card. Usually it's that the CSN number doesn't show up in Preferences, General, About. A few times on rebooting the IPP I got "SIM card not found." I've removed the card several times and cleaned it for dust.

Isn't the CSN number supposed to show up ALL the time, even when out of range of cell tower service? I called both Apple and AT&T and no one seems to know.

I'm really worried that if I start the service, then I'll find out that the SIMcard is defective. NOW is the time to return the unit, or try to get a replacement SIM card from Apple. Does anyone understand this stuff? Googling is getting me nowhere.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Bought a fully loaded IPP 12" last week. Have not yet turned on my iPad's cellular service. Every time I get ready to, I have problems with the SIM card. Usually it's that the CSN number doesn't show up in Preferences, General, About. A few times on rebooting the IPP I got "SIM card not found." I've removed the card several times and cleaned it for dust.

Isn't the CSN number supposed to show up ALL the time, even when out of range of cell tower service? I called both Apple and AT&T and no one seems to know.

I'm really worried that if I start the service, then I'll find out that the SIMcard is defective. NOW is the time to return the unit, or try to get a replacement SIM card from Apple. Does anyone understand this stuff? Googling is getting me nowhere.

What carrier are you trying to use? If you can take your iPad to them they will get it up and running and not charge you to do it if you have a cellular plan with them.

You do have a cellular plan don't you?

Sandy Santra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Brooklyn
It sounds like your best option would be to exchange it for an iPad that won't have these kinds of issues.

Apple thinks it might be the SIM card. I'm going in tomorrow to see if they will give me a new one.
[doublepost=1472660437][/doublepost]
What carrier are you trying to use? If you can take your iPad to them they will get it up and running and not charge you to do it if you have a cellular plan with them.

You do have a cellular plan don't you?

Yeah, I have AT&T. But it's not "mobile ready" yet for me to add the iPad. I have to get a new plan for my iPhone. It means giving up my unlimited data plan on the phone, though, something I'm reluctant to do. Decisions, decisions.

I really don't want to go into an AT&T store for service. They are awful.

Let's see what Apple can do for me tomorrow. Hopefully new SIM card. Maybe new iPad instead. Worst case scenario, 40 lashes for starting the AT&T imprinting process and stopping halfway because of all the CSN # display failures.
[doublepost=1472660487][/doublepost]I love it when MacRumors merges my posts. Let's see if they'll do it again haha. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.