Is there such a thing as a female sexual offender?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Leareth, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Hi guys

I am currently writing a paper on female sexual offenders, my sources argue everything from there is no such thing due to female psychology all the way to that women commint more sexual offences then men.
    I am comparing the US to Canada , in Canada there have been only 19 cases since 1996 of female sexual offences, but in the state of maryland alone there are 36 registered female sexual offenders. I asked myself why this is.

The definition of sexual offense between Canadian Law and the US law is pretty much the same yet the numbers are vastly different,

what is your guys view on the issue? Is there such a thing as a female sexual offender? Do women get treated differently by the Justice System than male sexual offenders, why doe sour society consider it a bad thing for a 35 y/o male to sleep with a 13 y/o but when the woman in 35 and the male 13 the male just got lucky?

2. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

It's colder in Canada; it's done to stay warm.:D

That said, a sex offender is a sex offender, regardless of sex.

3. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

isn't canada less populated? Not that that can totally account for it

Yes, there are female sex offenders, but I think boys are usually thought of as needing sex, so that's why the 13 year old is seen as getting lucky. Women are seen less often in this "i need sex all the time" state of mind.

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

It has been decided in court that also women can rape men. Due to the fact that a man can't really control in some circumstances when he gets an erection so it is possible for a man to be raped.

However i forget the percentage of rape cases that are for men being raped by women, it is in the single digits i am almost sure about that.

Due partly that "usually" men are the more aggressive type and also a lot of men probably wouldn't go to the police saying they were raped by a women, as it would get publicity.

5. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Funny this topic came up. I just read Michael Crichton's Disclosure which is about sexual harassment.

I fully believe that women can be sexual offenders, having been in a somewhat odd situation with a female boss of mine in an old office job. She made really lewd and suggestive comments to me about what she wanted to do to me and wanted me to do to her on a daily basis.

Luckily, I wasn't there long, so nothing more serious ever came of any of it.

Still troubling, as I feel I should have spoken up.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Actually it's just as bad legally when an older woman takes advantage of an underage minor. It's still child abuse. Now, there's the whole stigma of men being dominant, so taking advantage of a young girl is seen as abuse while young boys are supposed to want sex so it's supposed to be ok. In real life situations, both can be damaging, even if perceived to be consensual. Minors are not legally supposed to be able to make that distinction because often times developmentally they can't. Either sex. So legally, it's the same. Doesn't always play out in court that way because of the societal morays, not to mention the nonconsensual rapes vs. statutory rapes. Statistically, a young man will want sex more than a young woman, just part of our nature.

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Because sexism is still okay.

9. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Ask Mary Kay LeTourneau or Debra LaFave. Better still, ask the juries that convicted them.

If memory serves, it wasn't until recently (last 10 years or so) that rape laws were modified so a woman could be charged under them.

I'm going to qualify my answer to your next question(s) by saying women stand a better chance at getting preferential treatment in this area than men. Mary Kay did eventually go to prison, after all. I'm not a sociologist or anything, but my personal take on it all is that depsite the currrent feminist-inspired trend that tries to eliminate any perceived difference between the genders, when it comes to sex, men are still on some level viewed as the de facto predator and women the prey. That subconcious role assignment makes it easy for us to say that a 35 year old man sleeping with an underage teen is reprehensible, and rightly so, but when a woman in her late 20s sleeps with her student, it can't possibly be her fault, and that she must have some disorder.

10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Society's image of a "predator" is still largely a "strong masculine figure" playing on a "weak feminine figure". We'll know the imagery has righted itself when an Arnold Schwarzenegger is replaced by a Maria Shriver and stars in an Alien vs. Predator II.

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

There are pleanty of women out there who are extremely well versed in the art of using sex as a weapon.

12. Leareth thread starter macrumors 68000

Leareth

Thanks guys for the great replies

please keep the coming

you guys are really helping me iron out my arguments

too bad I can't set up a poll for this thread...

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Sure there are and also some extreme cases too.
    For some horrific tales, google:

• Myra Hindley
    • Rosemary West

and more recently...

• Tanya French

14. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I think that is a very valid point.

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Less horrific than BV's cases, but there's always Mary Kay LeTourneau to prove that women can be pedophiles too.

B

16. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

There are vastly fewer people in Canada than the US, but the population of Canada is nearly five times greater than the population of Maryland.

17. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

sexual offense != rape

Sexual offense starts way before putting 'his' into 'her'... Of course it is technically way more difficult for a woman to rape a man than vice versa, that's why these cases are seldom.

I personally was already in a few situations which could be considered a sexual offense, but I didn't see the need to report them. The women involved made such a fool out of themselves that I thought that was punishment enough... ;)

groovebuster

18. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

So a minor in general can't decide about having sex? Tell that to the teenagers having sex on a regular basis already when they are 13 or 15... ;)

I don't think that minors mature magically over night when they are turning 18. Sexual self-determination is a process (like everything else) that comes gradually during the beginning years of puberty and for most people doesn't stop long after they are considered 'adults'.

For me there is a difference, if a 13 y/o has sex or a 17 y/o. 16 years old girls can get married, but when 'just' having sex with somebody a few years older it is considered child abuse?

I think that the age when somebody can have consensual sex really depends on the person and the law should reflect that appropriately (it does in Germany).

I don't see why by defintion a 15 y/o having sex with a 15 y/o is considered less 'damaging' than a 15 y/o having sex with a 30 y/o? It always depends on the case and the motivation of the parties involved.

groovebuster

19. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

This is something I always find quite interesting. Obviously, being 15 (16 soon yay!) I have thought about these kinds of things.

I need to be careful what I say here, but here goes:

If I was to (for example, not suggesting I would) sexually assault another girl of my age, then would that make me a paedophile? Could I be had up in court as a paedo?

Obviously I've thought about these kinds of situations, and there have been people in my year at my school who have been charged of sexual assault (7 cases of it this year). Now if they were to have been charged by people in the year below, would that be paedophilia?

20. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I am shocked to read in Wikepedia that the two serial killers who were going to spend life in prison, would get a reprieve under a new law? :confused: One of them is dead, the other may get out in 2019 at 60+ years old.... If you are a serial killer you should die behind bars. period.

The French story made me sick to my stomach. She also was sentenced to only 19 years. WTF, if that happened to my baby, I would take justice into my own hands.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I didn't say they don't have sex, it's just that legally in the US 18 is the cutoff age to have sex with someone. Of course it's arbitrary, but there had to be some age, like drinking or voting. There are of course some teenagers who are more mature than a lot of 30 year olds, but that's just how it is. :p

22. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

As I said, this is somehow absurd... In the US you can drive a car when you are 16 and in e.g. Alabama you can get married when you are 14 (Link).

So actually a 20 y.o. guy could be married to a 14 y.o. kid and he could screw her without any worries 24/7, even though the age of consent in Alabama is 16...??? :confused:

Can you spell 'double moral standards'? ;)

groovebuster

23. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

For what it's worth, when I was 14, if a woman who looked like Debra LeFave had wanted to do that to me, I would have considered it a sign of the existence of a benevolent deity.

All my friends were the same way.

24. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'll just say that I'm glad it's physically impossible for me to get raped by a woman. :)

e

25. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

That particular statute was written in 1852 - far different times than today, but at least parental consent is required. The state legislature has been trying to fix it for years, but for some reason or another it just never seems to pan out. A marriage license also trumps the age of consent law.

Ironically, adultery (defined as having sex with someone not your spouse) is still a crime on the books here as a misdemeanor.