Is there such a thing as a FireWire switch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applekid, Nov 24, 2005.

1. applekid macrumors 68020

I'm curious, do FireWire switches exist? Instead of using a hub, I thought it'd be better to use a switch to make sure my devices get the full 400 MBps when used, or would a hub not affect the speed of my attached devices too much?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I would just get a Hub. I don't think there will be a big difference in speed.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Yeah, unless you are using more than one device on the hub actively (ie transfering files to/from more than one device) you will get the full 400mbps speed of Firewire.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Firewire was specifically designed to daisy-chain devices without hurting speed and reliability.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

People usually buy a FW PCI card when they want to do multiple FW devices all at full speed.

Of course now that external SATA drive enclosures are available, these might prove to be better alternatives -- along with PCI SATA cards.

6. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

I was looking at getting a switch or hub for a Mac Mini. I think I narrowed down which peripherals I need connected all the time so a hub just might do. Maybe.

So, I assume there's no such a thing as FireWire switch?

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You should really try a search engine, you'll get lots of hits.

But...There (usually) is no reason for one. Nor is there (usually) a good reason for a hub. Many firewire devices can be chained and still transfer at full speed. I plug a hard drive into my PB. I plug another hard drive into the first hard drive. I plug my camera into the second hard drive. Everything transfers at full speed unless I'm actively using multiple devices. A hub is the same way. You will not get full speed when actively using multiple devices. And a switch does not allow you to use multiple devices.

8. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

I got horrible hits with Google! I typed in FireWire switch, and the only thing I found was a over-priced switch specifically for movie editing (although I'm sure it'd work). Basic computer hardware stores like Newegg don't give anything close.

I understand daisy-chaining and hubs, but I still want to know if one exists that isn't so over-priced to quell my curiosity.

9. Genl. Ludd macrumors newbie

Daisy Chaining may not always work

Hi: I have an ADVC110 AV to Video Convertor which is at the end of a Firewire Chain (it doesn't have a second FW connector). The unit preceding it is a HD in an enclosure. It must be turned on or else the ADVC110 will not work.

:D I just looked at the dates on other postings. Am i behind the times. Where is everybody?

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

If the HD preceding is not on, how can the firewire signal work? How can you expect it to work?