Is there such a thing as a WIFI Firewire adapter?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by marknicholls, Jan 20, 2005.

1. marknicholls macrumors 6502

Hey

My FW HDD is always sat on my desk, and backing up as i make changes to my specified folders, but if i was burgled, my mac and FW HDD would be gone, and so would all my music....

If a WIFI adapter was avaliable for a FW slot, then in theroy, i could run constant backups to the HDD, wirlessley (so i could hide the HDD in another room)

Is this a cool idea....or me being dumb?!

I think its a good idea!!

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think you mean a FireWire/WiFi bridge. I myself have been thinking of something like this for a while. I could watch anime (stored on my FW hard drive) on the couch downstairs :D
    I think for a viable product, we'd either have to wait for wireless FireWire (maybe with more than a 10 foot range?) or the next spec of 802.11, which hopefully would be as fast or faster than 100BaseT.

3. brandon6684 Guest

This would be neat, but to my knowledge nothing exists. I wonder if there are any WiFi hard drives out. That would be neat. Just plug it in and remotely configure it like you would a linksys router or something, my password protect it and it would show up as a network share.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I know Linksys and others have NAS (Network Attached Storage) drives out. And I also think that one or more of them might be WiFi.

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

There is no Wifi HD to my knowledge, but you can get networked HDs. So you could go from your HD to your Basestation via ethernet, and then Wirelessly to which ever Mac you have. Either way you prob need a new HD.

And yes, Apple is working on Wireless Firewire, or so the rumors say.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/05/20040512081929.shtml