Is there such a thing as being overqualified?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Feb 18, 2005.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    how many of you out there have been turned down from a job due to too much experience or education on your resume?

would you hire someone if you thought they would ditch you as soon as they found something more suited to their higher qualifications?

do hiring managers shy away from applicants they think that are a threat to their job?

2. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Overqualified employees have a tendency to get bored easily. Bored employees have a tendency to goof around to make their jobs more interesting. Employees just messing around can look very bad to the consumer and can lead to costly mistakes that a less qualified employee would not make simply because they did not lose focus.
  3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Aug 17, 2004
    Communard de Londres
    Employers want 'droids that will not question what's happening but will keep their noses to the grindstone.My advice don't work for anybody unless you have a contract saying what you'll do and how much they'll pay you for doing it.If it takes you 6 hours or 6 months thats your business.
  4. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2003
    I got denied from a summer job once at starbucks because I was overquaified. I left baffled and confused.... all I wanted to do was work the opening shift 5 days a week...
  5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    its happened to me too, too much experience and too much schooling means that the lower jobs even though im in college are too little for me, because ive worked better paying jobs and higher positions no one wants to hire me for a lower position due to the fact that they know i shouldnt be working that job, even though they dont have any management positions available, they also think that because of my past experience that i need to be paid more, eh
  6. Jason_Bryan macrumors regular

Apr 27, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    The reason I started my own business in 1999 was because I was told so many times I was over qualified for positions I was applying for. It still makes me smile when I think of managers that obviously thought that if they employed me I would become bored in the job I was applying for and would probably then go after theirs. News flash to all, if I didn't want the job I applied for I wouldn't have applied for it, and if I want your job I will apply for it.
  7. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    I watched a report once on the News regarding the hiring of Police officers. They said that they would not hire people who tested above a certain level as they thought those people would get board and perform poorly on the Job.

When I heared this though it made me think about the intelegence level of the police officers they do hire. Thats a different discussion though I guess. ;)
  8. ziwi macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    Right back where I started...
    Don't see too many Phd.'s flipping burgers at McDonalds - no doubt they could do it. But the minute something better came along - bam - out the door.
  9. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    That's true of anyone. Anyone who finds a better opportunity is going to leave.
  10. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    The best employees for low wages are ones that have poor education and who has to support a family. They are loyal and because always fearing for their income, will work diligently and hard. Those are the most ideal employees for establishments such as McDs and Walmart.
  11. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    If I may ask are you facing this situation currently? If so I pray that your situation will work for the best. Won't go into details, but I have had it happen to me a few times. It does hurt if you really want the job.
  12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000

thank god i am not in that situation since i have my own businesses

but i used to be in human resources and i am currently studying to be an employment lawyer, probably to be on "the other side" of hr...he he... and i just want to get feedback from people

not surprisingly at all, i hear the same situations everywhere i go or whoever i talk to

sometimes people are overqualified, and sometimes (when someone is underqualified, or the position is filled) then the hiring manager wants to turn down the prospect gently and try to soften the let down by saying, "sorry, you are overqualified for the job" or "you are suited for something much better"...either way, whatever the reason, it's hard for somebody who is certified or educated over the level of a job, or under the job, and get a fake answer from some human resources officer/ managers are bad liars and often don't realize that people can see through their muck...think catbert, the evil human resources officer from dilbert

the law field is ripe for employees to hire employment attorneys to straighten things out...since most legal matters are settled out of court, mediation and conciliation are often the best path when employment issues come up
  13. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    I have been turned down because the person that was testing me was affraid to loose his job because I was more prepared than him.

Actually, my resume overquelify anything around here but a resume in Venezuela is diffrent than here, in Venezuela is easy to get a very high position in a company compared with the US and I am actually looking for the experience here but I face the same thing... I am over qualify for the things I want to do.

Another problem I see is that the overqualified employee will leave the position soon and there is no sense in hiring some one that is going to spend only a few weeks.