Is this 12" PowerBook worth...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by daneoni, May 16, 2008.

1. macrumors G4

daneoni

I just saw a 12" PowerBook G4 for £470 including shipping. Its the 1.5GHz model, comes with 512MB, very good condition couldn't see scratches or dents from the pics and no dead pixels. Original restore disks, battery AC adapter. Tiger. Superdrive & 80GB HDD.

Do you guys think its a good price?

2. macrumors 65816

fluidedge

seems a bit expensive to me - i'd be looking more at £370 tbh

3. macrumors 6502a

great price - for the person selling.
    :p

since you don't mind buying used, for that kind of money you can get a refurb Sony Vaio from Dixons with about 10x the processing power. Alternatively you can get a Toshiba with a Core2Duo CPU, a 17" screen and 200GB HDD. If you're all for portability, they even have a 11.1" PHILIPS X67 right now for a £509. Tell that to the guy who's selling you that 4 year old machine, maybe they'll come to a more reasonable figure.

4. thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Yeah i figured £470 is a lot of money for a 2/3 yr old G4

5. macrumors 68000

iToaster

Yeah, a little high for a 2/3 year old PowerBook. I got mine, which is maxed out, for about $550, or £330.

6. macrumors 6502a

That seller is obviously capitalizing way too much on the fact that these computers are rare and high in demand. Honestly just buy a nice Sony Vaio like stated above and be done with it.

7. macrumors regular

Great machine but it will probably need more RAM and a new battery - an extra £140, so no, it's not in any way a bargain. £350 tops is what it should be - unless it's flawless.

8. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you were forced to buy a new battery for your new laptop, how much would you be willing to spend? If that total is around £500, then you can only pay this person <£400. I don't know what the price of a new battery is, but it's probably expensive. You'll probably want a new, good battery because a 12" PB is, after all, for portability.

9. macrumors Core

Dagless

A friend sold his for £500, exactly how you described but with an extra battery. Not new but they were both pumping out hours of life still. This was only 3 months ago and it perfect condition.

Hoping to sell mine for similar, with a Mighty mouse too.

10. macrumors regular

What would you guys suggest I ask for a 1.5GHz PowerBook G4 with 1.25GB of RAM and a 160GB HDD? It's in very good albeit clearly pre-owned condition.

I'm in Euroland so I'm hesitant to just convert the GBP to Euros.

Cheers!

11. macrumors 6502a

£470

Is a good price. Those 1.5PB's are going for that kind of money - the demand is definitely there, and therefore, so is the asking price.

12PB 1.5GHz

1. Last of great machine
    2. smaller form factor WITH FW port
    3. rock-solid build quality (yes they feel better than MBA)
    4. iConic among Mac Geeks

£470? Go buy it and don't regret it. As long as you're not encoding Handbrake with it, you'll be fine

12. thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I dunno. After dropping £470 i'll still have to buy extra RAM & HDD which is another £100 at least thats 570 already which is almost the price of a brand new low-end whitebook

Added to that. THe machine has no warranty and if anything goes wrong, thats the end and given its a notebook something is more likely to go wrong than if it were a desktop

Yours i wouldnt mind dropping £470 for