Is this a 5.1g (Late 2006) iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mrbliss, Oct 10, 2006.

1. mrbliss macrumors newbie

I bought a new ipod with video 30gb today at John Lewis. They assured me its a new 5.1g iPod and is band new stock (i know for sure they didn't have any video ipods at all in stock last week).

I'm just a bit concerned that its not actual a 5.1g. On apples site it says that the Late 2006 models can be distingused from the old models by the last three digits of the serial number which should end in one of the following on the newer iPod: WU9, WUA, WUB, or WUC.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61688

Mine ends in V9M!

The model number on the box is MA446FB/A but on the back of the iPod it say "Assembled in China Model no: A1136 EMC No: 2065." It also has the copyright date as 2005.

The only games it has are Brick, Music Quiz, Parachute and Solitaire. I seem to remember reading that the new models came with more games than this.

Any clarfication would be greatly appreciated. I undersand that theres not that much difference but the extended battery life and high res video capabilites do make a differance to me.

2. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

does it have search capabilities? if so, its a new one. which style headphones does it have?

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

The new iPods can play more games if you buy them from the iTunes Store. I don't think you have the new iPod, though. I think you got boned. I would maybe try to go and return it if you can.

4. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Does it have Johnny Depp dressed as a pirate on the front? If so, it is the new one.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

yeah, if it has POTC on the box, it's new.

6. mrbliss thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, its got Johnny on the box and has a search facility. Still concerned about the serial no though. Anyone else got a 5.1 that has different end no's to the ones on the apple site?

7. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

I is a new one, if it has the search function( as in the thing that you type in each letter, not the cool grey/black letter thing) its the 5.5 one. All 5G iPods can play the new games, but you have to buy them from iTunes. They do not come free on any type of iPods.
    As someone already mentioned, the headphones also tell which G it is.
    Enjoy your new iPod

8. mrbliss thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it has the search function as described by steve jobs in the presentation below, also the fast scroll function, so sounds like its a 5.1, hurray! Thanks for your advice everyone.

Anyone any idea why the seriel no has a different ending to the ones apple published?

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/sep_2006/event/index.html

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No idea, but it's definitely a new one. Cap'n Jack + search + new headphones = 5.5G iPod (technically "5G iPod (late 2006)") so you've got the right one.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Then it's a 5.1G, the 5G don't have search that's the only difference apart from the brightness...

11. AppleGuy08 macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

I got an 80 Gig the week after they came out and my sn ends with v9f. plus my box had potc and the search feature. Just turn it on, go to music. If you see the search, you have a 5.1 gen ipod