Is this a bad thing to do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nyprospect, Jun 20, 2004.

1. nyprospect macrumors 6502

;) Well my nephew is in pennstate college.Woul it be a bad idea to ask him for his student number so i can hmmmm get an edu discount?Is it possible? thanks

2. goodknight411 macrumors member

Well, if he wanted to use it for a discount later this year for the same thing you buy, he couldn't.

3. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

4. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Go for it. Just pretend that he bought it and gave it to you as a gift :D.

JOD8FY

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you claim to be eligible for Apple's educational discount when you aren't, you would be violating Apple's terms and conditions. The risk that they will detect this and take legal action is not great, but anytime the discount system is abused, it increases the chances that Apple will stop offering the same level of discounts to students and educators.

7. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

Im sure it violates the law but hed be using it as well not as much as me but he will when he visits me and desides that chasing college chicks isnt as important as using a mac ;)

8. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

My dad used my mom's (his X-Wife) education discount and when he ordered online it didn't even ask for anything but the school. It made of for the tax and then a little extra.

I would send your friend an ADC student membership so he can get the one time 20% off discount as a student developer. It would only work for the more expensive machines, your friend would get Panther and some other cool stuff and you get a discount.

9. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Apple can afford to let a student buy a new computer every year for 4 years at EDU discount...that's their way of stopping abuse of the system. As long as you don't somehow violate that standard...it's all good in my book.

10. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Actually, according to apple.com, all they do is charge your credit card with the balance if they find out you 'fibbed a little'.

11. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    whatg would be legal is if he bought it himself with money u wire to him then he will transfer ownership and registration

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I wonder if this has really happened to anyone any of us know.