Is this a burner problem or a CD problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dogbone, Feb 6, 2007.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

I'm using an emac and Toast Titanium 7 to burn some CD's.

Sometimes it starts burning straight away but a lot of the timee it keeps starting and stopping a half a dozen times before kicking in. One time it reported some sort of begining and end, write error and wouldn't burn at all.

The CD's are make in Taiwan TDK's. Does this sound like a CD problem or a burner problem? And are there any hardware test to check the burner?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

That sounds suspiciously like a hardware, or (if you're lucky) software problem, but not bad media. It MIGHT be bad media, but generally speaking that will just make a disc that appears to burn fine but doesn't work when you play it.

Are the symptoms the same when you burn with Disk Utility or the Finder? If they're identical, that sounds rather like hardware. If it works fine, might be Toast's problem. (I'm guessing that this will work as a test, because I believe Toast accesses the hardware directly, so it'll use a different method than Apple's built-in burning support.)

3. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

I have found it difficult to disable Toast, it starts up every time I put a cd in. I've checked the prefs but I can't see anyway to disable it. However I managed to somehow burn a cd using a burn folder and it burned fine, then I tried Toast again and it burned OK too, then it started looping again.

At the moment I'd just be happy to find a way to turn 'Toast' off without removing it from my system, so I could do some more tests.

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

I haven't used Toast in years, so I can't tell you how to turn it off, but assuming you have a legit copy, you could go through the uninstall process to remove it and see if everything works without it. If so, you can then reinstall, make sure you have the latest version, and see if it fails at that point.

I'm assuming that Toast installs a system-level driver, which can't easily be disabled (I *think*--I might be forgetting something), but if there's a helper app launching it when you insert a disc, you can probably disable it under the Login Items section of the Accounts pref pane.

Somebody who actually know how Toast works would be more helpful, though.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Have you tried System Preferences -> CDs & DVDs which has a preference for "When you insert a blank CD"?

6. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

when toast is being installed, it asks you if you want to have toast launched whenever a blank CD/DVD is inserted. this pref can be changed (in toast 8, should be same for 7) under toast titanium > pref > data.

7. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

No, there's nothing in Toast 7 prefs for disabling this.

Here's a shot of my prefs. I've looked all through the menus as well.

Attached Files: