Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

The new macbooks definitely look enticing, but just thought of having to get new software to really utilize it potential is having me hold off for now. I sold a few of my computers and was fortunate enough to make some money out of them. I'm just looking for something to hold me over at this point.

Just wondering what all of you though about this deal. I've been using the powerbook for a couple of days and it's seems pretty great so far.

It is a rev a. 867 12" powerbook in mint condition. It wasn't used for very much at all so there is no wear on it. The battery holds about a 3+ hour charge. It comes with bluetooth, 640mb, 40gb hard drive, airport extreme. I know it only has usb 1.1, but I don't even use usb 2.0 on our older desktop as it is, and I go with firewire most of the time. The price of the powerbook is $475. I also have an 80gb 5400 speed hard drive that I could put in.

I just really want an ultraportable to use on the road for internet, email, pictures, music, movies etc. I don't imagine anything hard core on the road, so it seems that almost anything would do. I've had ibooks before, but the truth is the powerbook just feels better put together and more professional.

What do you think, is this a deal that I should go for?
Thanks!

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

If you mean by legit, as in not stolen, then definitely its not stolen. Its a friends computer, and she even let me borrow it for a couple of days to see if I like it. Also, I'm not sure if this such an amazing deal that could make it possibly not legit. Maybe if it was $200, but for $475 I just wonder if it is a good deal considering the new machines have cause price drops in the powerbook/ibook line. I've seen some impressive ibook deals recently locally and on ebay, but I just never liked the feel and look of the ibook g4 line. I did like the original ibook g3's with the metallic silver palmrests, but I couldn't even play quicktime movie trailers on my maxed out g3 600 ibook.

So if $475 is a good deal, I'll just take it then. I'm just not sure with the changes in the apple laptop market now.

Thanks!!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yeah, that's what I meant by legit. I just didn't want you to be targeted by an eBay or Craigslist scammer.

I'd say $600 would probably be a reasonable price for that machine...others may disagree.

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

Thanks for your concern!!

It's a tough decision, because if I get to the $700 range, I can get one of the newer 12" powerbooks, and then for a couple of hundred above that, then we get to the macbook range. It's such a strange time for buying apple laptops right now. But I think for people like me who just need basic usage, buying cheap may be best right now.

Thanks for your opinion, and keep the opinions coming!

Mernak

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Kirkland, WA
Seems like a pretty good deal, even if the computer is not the fastest, but it seems like you will use another computer for almost everything else anyways, and just need this for travel and stuff. The fact that it is in mint condition is just a nice benefit.

Vaphoron

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2004
Maryland
I think its a good deal because you can always use it for a while and then sell it to upgrade to something better when you need it.

ncook06

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Vaphoron said:
I think its a good deal because you can always use it for a while and then sell it to upgrade to something better when you need it.

"upgrade to something better when you need it." That's always the best thing to do in the computer world, hence my switch to a Macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.