Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptainCanuck

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hey everyone,

I've been a long-time lurker here (going on three years now), but I've finally got a couple questions that need to be answered.

My 1.33ghz 12" PB started acting up today for the first time since I bought it almost two and half years ago. iTunes began to stutter, along with numerous multi-colour beachballs that wouldn't go away until I force a reboot. The symptoms came back again after a while of playing iTunes with MSN running in the background.

I reboot again, this time in verbose mode, when I got an "ioatacontroller device blocking bus" message several times in a row. This time booting took a great deal more time, until I tilted my PB to one side. Once it was up, I did a quick google of the messages and found several similar situations, like this <a href="http://dubinko.info/blog/2004/07.html">one</a> mid-way down the page, all leading to a dying/dead hard drive.

Fearing the worst, I backed up all of my data to my iPod, which seemed to speed up whenever I tilted the PB onto one side. I booted my 10.4 install disk and repaired the hard drive, which came up with a "header needs minor repair" error, which seems to be fixed now. The S.M.A.R.T. status is still reading as verified.

I've rebooted and it seems to be running fine now, so long story short, am I being paranoid or is my hard drive slowly dying? Also, if it is a worst case scenario, what would be a good choice for a replacement hd?

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Your hard drive is dying. Does it make a noise when you tilt the PB side to side, front to back?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, it doesn't sound brilliant. I'd certainly keep an eye on it. FWIW, when you repair the hard drive, you're kinda meant to keep repairing it until it makes no changes. Did you do this? If you didn't, you might wanna repair it one more time. :)

CaptainCanuck

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
SpicyApple: Yeah, it's been making a some funny humming noises for the last couple weeks if I tilt it back and forth.

MadJew: Yep, repaired five or six times just to be sure :D

The more searching I do, the more I find that it is probably in the stages of dying:(. It seems to be alright right now, but I'm going to keep an eye on it.

Any suggestions for replacement brands?

CaptainCanuck

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Well, thanks for the help. It's started up again this morning, so I'm better start pricing a new drive. I have to say the new 160GB Seagate is looking mighty nice right now, although it's a little out of my price range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.