Is this a good deal? 1st gen ipod 4 gb mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Jdm_rsx, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

this girl on a local forum wnats to sell me an
    1st gen, 4b mini ipod green
    comes with everything as if it was new...i guess

she mentioned something about the 2nd doesnt come w/ firewire cable and charger? is that true?

what else doesnt the 2nd come with?

also she is including this thing called
    iTRip ? what is that?

how much is the battery? to replace in the future?

she wants 200 cash..

whats a good offer for me to give to her?
    she claims that she had it for only a few weeks...

need some advise soon...

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

iTrip allows you to broadcast the iPod on a FM frequency, so you can tune in your car radio to listen.

If you're not scared, you can replace the battery for $29:
    http://www.ipodbattery.com/

Your deal *might* be worth $200, considering it includes the firewire cable and iTrip. However, it is slightly used, so I think $175 would be more like it?

3. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm...my friend told me it cost about 100bucks.to replace the ipod batt...

i was thiinkin to offer her 170 cash or 180 cash...

never pay the askin price right?

can anyone else tell me the BIG and major differences?

how much is a new itrip?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The major difference is that the new iPod Mini has much longer battery life than the old one. The iTrip can be had for $28-30 shipped online, new.

EDIT: noting where you are, I'm not sure if that shipped price is continental 48 and so it might be slightly more to Hawaii....

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

The iTrip for the mini goes anywhere between $25 and $40.

The differences between 4 gig 1st and 2nd gen? The colors are different, firewire cable is not included in second generation, and the battery is longer in the second generation. Second generation battery lasts 18 hours, while the first generation was only 8 hours.

The battery there is a good reason to go with a new second generation. The second generation is only $199, and you get 18 hours of battery life. You don't get the iTrip, or firewire cable, but the iTrip can be had for $25, and why not just use the USB 2.0 cable thats included?

6. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

what about the charger issue?
    how much is that worth?

when my battery dies out ...can i replace it with the 18 hr battery? or is the new battery only designed for the 2nd gen?

so ppl help me out w/ the price here?

179 for new at my university bookstore for the 2nd gen 4gb ipod...

she wanted 200...which i think its too much....

really dont know what i should do...

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you want an iTrip? If not, I don't see any compelling reason to buy this over the new one...not unless the price were a LOT less, like $140 or so....Actually I would buy the new one even if I wanted an iTrip, FWIW.....Also you get your choice of color! :p

8. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm...cant...decide...ahh..

!!!!....

i have really bad decision making skills = (

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

RU Crazy? ;) If you can buy the 2nd gen new with warranty for $179, why are you even thinking about the 1st gen used with little or no warranty and 10 hours less battery for anything more than $150?

The iTrip is a fine little device but only good for transmitting from the iPod Mini to the radio in your car. If you aren't doing cross-country trips, why bother? Basically, it's not your problem to pay for the iTrip if you have no use for it.

10. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks canada....and i can rack up 179 points on my credit card when i use it! lol

haha....

illl just buy the new one.....

anyidea where i can buy the car charger..?

11. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Don't pay $200 for that deal. Especially if you have to replace the battery. Try and talk your way down atleast $25.

12. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

oh the 1st ipod 4gb is only 2 weeks old and also the person has the reciept for it...

i was only wondering...is it a lot of trouble replacing the battery?

also how long does the battery last? not play time but the life of the battery itself?

13. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

stop thinkin about used. you can obviously get a better deal from your local bookstore for 179. And i'm sure since it only holds 4 gigs of songs that the firewire won't make that much of a difference...

and besides, if you want to play it through your car that bad... you can get like a cassette adapter for like 9 dollars from your local walmart

14. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

It depends on how much you use it. Most people get at least 2 years, but sometimes the battery wears out faster if you're using the thing, like 8 hours a day.

15. jmk macrumors newbie

Another note on the iTrip. From most of the reviews I've read, they suck so don't plan on getting crisp clear music in your car.

16. wide macrumors 6502a

The new minis (except the silver) have much brighter, more alive colors. I like them, some people don't. They also have a color-coded scroll wheel. I think paying the xtra 25 bucks is worth it for the newer model and battery life..sure, it won't have the AC adapter, but the battery lasts more than two times as long for some people (20+ hours)

17. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

it will have a regular charger right?

just not the portable charger? and firewire cable?

however they give a USB 2.0 cable right?

thx!

18. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

If you've ever owned an iPod, which it appears you haven't, you'll REALLY appreciate that battery life. I bought a used 1st gen 5 gig iPod, and its battery would last... 4 hours? Then I dropped it, bought a 3rd gen 10 gig used, it gets 7, and god it's so much nicer. Get the new one, edu price, and throw an AC adaptor in there, it'll cost a tad extra, but it's worth it.

Yes, it comes w/ a USB 2.0 cable, which you use to charge it through your computer unless you buy the AC Adaptor.

19. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

how much is the ..AC adapter?

hmm....think ill wait a bit then

20. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

The adapter is 30 bucks, if you never see yourself charging it away from your computer, then you don't need it, but I can't imagine life without one, myself.

21. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

do you guys think the price of the 4gb will drop anytime soon? or will it remain at 179 for quite a while?

22. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I doubt it. Though my shop was selling them for $169.

For a used iPod mini and iTrip mini, a fair price for me would be $150 or so.

23. Romulan macrumors member

Bad itrip!!!!

I wouldn't recommend the itrip unless you live in Wyoming. It doesn't broadcast well. I always get tons of static. The only time I've experienced good sound from it was on a stretch of Farmland!! : ( Do yourself a favor and just buy the cassette adapter. You wont even have to think about it working. It just will. And to me (and most mac users :)) that's a big thing. Good luck!!

Oh yeah, I'd deninately go for the mini at the bookstore. That battery life really comes in handy. And instead of getting an itrip just get an AC adapter.