Is this a good deal on a iBook G4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by paperinacup, Jul 16, 2005.

1. paperinacup macrumors 6502

Its a bone stock 1.2ghz 12' ibook.
    30gb HD
    256 Ram
    Panther
    Combo Drive
    No Box but all Manuals cables and CDs.
    It is about 4-5 months old.

It is a local Pick-up and he is asking $795. BUT I could buy a refurb from apple for $849 and a new one for $949. So should I go for this or what? Should I ask him to lower the price?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Nope. It's not worth losing 6 months warranty and Tiger for $50 - $150 difference in price.

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Right, and the new one you know wasn't even dropped, abused, repaired, etc. And it's all shiny with new box and packaging and stuff!

4. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I'd rather go ahead a get a refurb.

THanks Guys!

5. JonMaker macrumors regular

I agree, but the big thing is losing the "new" computer feeling... :D You can never tell with those second hand types.

6. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

I had planned to purchase a Toshiba a few days ago BUT when I got there they were DISCONTINUED even though the sales rep told me 2 days before that they were jus treleased this week.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

You are making the right choice by deciding to go with an Apple iBook G4. Forget toshiba, go with your refurbished iBook - it might be used, but its still an Apple. Don't forget to go with at least 512MB DDR (256MB is far to small of an amount of RAM).

8. dylomel macrumors member

ibook

if i were you, i would go for the refurb ibook , since its only around $50 difference from the used one, and at least you would get quality assurance. :)

9. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

So you stated that you could get a new one for $949 which means you are a student, right?

If so, you can actually get one for cheaper because you can take advantage of the student union promo and get a free iPod Mini with yours. That drops your price down to around $800 for a new one if you sell the iPod. I'd go that route.