Is this a good deal or what?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by scem0, Dec 6, 2003.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

My mom wants to buy my dad a new computer for christmas and while looking in the classifieds I ran across:

I am calling at 9AM tomorrow morning!

This is perfect! If it has already been bought then my heard will break :(.

scem0

2. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

That's a sweet deal!

Every Mac should be priced that way!!!

Good luck! :cool:

3. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Most likely everything inside is stock but a pretty sweet deal nonetheless. Go get um tiger.

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

unless they specifically downgraded it the dual 1.42 was top of the line with a really nice config, they would have stripped it but you can look thru it after a test boot ...

5. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

yeah.

Even with stock, or even downgraded it is a great deal. And it comes with a 17" apple LCD!

I can't wait!

scem0

6. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

7. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I know!

But it is true. I just ordered it:

Dual 1.42GHz
    167MHz Bus
    280GB Hard Drive
    1.5GB of RAM
    17" Apple Studio Display
    Superdrive
    $1,500

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD! THIS IS AMAZING!

I'm going to die of happiness!

The guy on the phone says that they are trying to get rid of them to make room for new G5s.

scem0

8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

9. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Can I buy one? Sounds like he has more. I will pay you and stuff. Or, can you email me his phone number?

My email is jcarian@mac.com

10. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Well, I lied.....

Okay here is the deal.

My mom called about an hour ago to a person named Eric LeBlanc and
    -he told us the specs on the computer
    -He said he worked for a company named Supercom
    -He seemed like a nice enough guy.
    -He told us he would only accept a cash money order through the Western Union.
    -My mom asked why and he said that that was all Supercom accepted...
    -He told us to send the payment to:
    Eric LeBlanc
    4011 14th Ave.
    MarkHam, ON

At this point it seemed very scammish. My mom even told him that and he said that supercom was part of the Better Business Bureau.

Well, we still thought this was a scam... I mean, look at the price, look at the specs, and then look at the method of payment. And once your cash is sent out of the country there is basically no hopes of getting it back if its a scam. Plus, why send the money to an individual. It seems a lot more businesslike to send it to supercom instead of Eric Leblanc...

Well, I decided I would research it a bit.

I searched for supercom, and found out that it was a legitimate electronics distributer from Canada. I also figured out that their address is 4011 14th Avenue in Markham, Ontario... This makes me think it isnt a scam, but you never know.

I couldn't find a person named 'Eric Leblanc' who had a connection to this business in Ontario though. Then again, I couldn't find anyone with a connection to this business.

From the little I have read about Supercom, it looks like they sell products to resellers who sell them to consumers. I am guessing that this Eric Leblanc fellow is a reseller who works through Supercom. That sort of explains why the money is sent to 'eric leblanc' rather than 'supercom' or something.

But for all I know he could be a delivery man who works at supercom who stole the computer or something...

ARGH!!!!! I'm so torn on this.

I don't know whether or not to send the money!

It looks suspicious, but this is a GREAT deal. It is perfect for my dad too (and for myself ;) :p)!

If we got this then I could wait to buy a G5 till they were 3GHz+ and I had more money... (Revision C or D)

What do y'all think?

scem0

11. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I don't know that sounds kinda iffy. How many does the guy have?

Could I get his number too?

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

13. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Hmm, you could ask for a serial number on a number of the parts and check it out:rolleyes:

Better yet drive accross the border and pay him in person. (may not be fesable if you don't live close to Canada)
    Call a frind that lives in Canada and ask them to check it out?

Hope it all turns out.

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Why are you even considering this? You're going to wire $1500 to an individual, not a company, that you have no way of tracking, on what, his word that he'll send you the computer?

*Anyone* could sell that setup for more than $1500. I don't care if they are trying to unload machines - they could ask for 2k and get it *easily* for that configuration. It's a $600 LCD for goodness sake! So basically, he's selling the dual G4 for $900, the cost of an emac? I don't think so.

And as for the LCDs - why would he have to sell them if they are getting G5s? What's the story there, that 17" apple LCDs don't work with G5s?

I'm sorry man, but this has all the ear marks of a scam. I know you wish it were legit, but there's practically zero chance that it is. You'd be throwing your money away. Do yourself a favor and forget this "opportunity" ever existed.

15. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

How do I know he isnt just reading off random numbers, or even reading the numbers off a box that he never plans to ship to me?

scem0

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

scem-o how long have you been at the rumors site? unless you can go physically see this machine i would say scam, i would be very careful and one more thing wouldnt a new machine with warranty and box and discs make for a better gift? Scem-O you should know better!

17. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Why not call supercom and ask them if this guy is an employee

18. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Im already doing that. But they arent in operation till 9AM tomorrow. But until then I don't plan on buying one.

scem0

19. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

ok
    i would ask the guy to use an escrow service. Have your mom tell him that you got ripped off via western union for a $500 LCD last month and then offer to pay all the fees ...

but yeah your best bet is to make sure supercom is legit and that the man is employee there of course

20. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

scem0:

you are a long time member, i simply don't understand why you are wasting your time.

western union sends CASH. C-A-S-H. if someone only accepts western union, it's not because he has some problems with other payment methods, it's because he's scamming you! just for proof, offer to send him a personal check or a cashier's check. he won't accept it because those can be tracked, unlike cash.

if a stranger on a street offered you a Mac for a good price, would you give him cash and take his words that "he will come back shortly with the Mac?" well, replace "street" with "ebay" or "classifieds" and that's the situation you are in...

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

LEGITIMATE resellers accept credit cards if they do business with the public.

If a reseller accepts only Western Union for transactions with the public, it's a scam.

Yes there are resellers who accept cash, checks, money orders on delivery to their regular business clients. In fact they may require COD.

But a reseller that want to do business through Western Union to the public is screaming...

"I'm a front for a money laundering organization"

Because the IRS and the Canadian taxing bodies have sent out warnings about business that do business through Western Union.

---

If they don't want a US Post Office money order, and are unwilling to complete the transaction through the US Mail -- run.

The criminals know that too many connections to the US Post Office get the nasties after you too quick.

22. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

I agree with everybody that says: It's a scam.

Don't do it! Just say 'no'.

;)

23. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Like the other guys said, this is a 100% scam. All businesses accept credit card, large or small. And when a company sell stuff, it's under the company's account, not through an individual. Even if the guy's an actual employee there, I wouldn't send a massive $1500 in cash to him. This is crazy. Look else where unless you like getting con.

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

[​IMG]

Futher proof that too much

Ramen Rots Your Brain

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Re: Is this a good deal or what?

It is a good deal.

As in, too good to be true. I agree with the rest, "send cash for ridiculously low price" equals scam. Sorry.