Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bigpumbaa, Dec 25, 2004.

1. bigpumbaa macrumors member

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Taking into account a memory upgrade, possible new battery, and also likely a new HD (10gb won't last long) I would say that it's not a great value, compared to, say, a 12" G4 1 or 1.2ghz iBook which pop into the Apple store for around $700... it'll last you a lot longer, won't need a new battery or a HD, but you will want some more RAM.

I don't know your budget, but you're looking at a $480 machine ($500 or so shipped), $115 in RAM, maybe $100+ for a battery, and probably at least $75 for a new internal HD... so upwards of $800 to get that machine 'loaded', and then it's still a G3/500... the 12" G4 will set you back between $750 and $850 dependign on how much RAM you opt for, and what the base price is (there aren't any in the store right now, but the 14" are all $350-400 off regular price, so at only $300 off of a 12" it'd come down to $700).

Just my thoughts on it. The last generation Mac hardware seems ridiculously over priced right now, seeing at how they won't be anywhere near as fast as iMac or iBook from Apples refurb store, and generally seem to cost almost as much, when you figure some small upgrades in.

Rob

3. bigpumbaa thread starter macrumors member

See... I'm going to be using this for 2 reasons. A secondary computer to type up class notes and surf some wireless internet (lightly) around campus, and to wet my feet in the Mac world. This would be my first Mac. I don't want it to break the bank... and I won't be using it for anything more than what I stated above (so no HD or mem upgrades probably). I also want to get it as early in January as possible, so thats another factor. I just found one on eBay for $425 shipped... I think that might be the better place to look.

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well you will HAVE to add more ram to use OSX, which I assume you plan on doing... 128mb is just completely inadequate. The 256 and 512 modules for the G3 iBook are the same prices, within $3 or so, so even at $425+shipping+115(memory) you're up to $650 minimum.

You can get a machine that is easily 2x as fast with support for Quartz (extreme, I think) for what, $100 more? Just seems silly to spend over $600 on a computer that is horribly out of date when you could spend $700 on one that is the current model line.

I was originally looking at getting a used PowerMac, but quickly realised that I would easily spend more on an out of date G4 PM and monitor than I would for a top of the line refurbed G5 iMac...

Anyways, I hope you enjoy which ever system you get, OSX is easily the best OS in the world. Speaking of which, I don't know what version of OSX of the G3 iBook will ship with, but you'll have to spend at least $50 on upgrading to 10.3 if it doesn't have it already.

Good luck with your search!
    Rob

5. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I think you should scrape the extra dough together to get a new 12". It´s not much more expensive.
    I am also convinced once you have it you'll love it so much you will find yourself using it more and more.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I agree at the price they want for the G3, you should save up and keep an eye out for a refurb or EDU price on an iBook. If this G3 notebook were in the range of $200-275, it might be worth looking at (remotely).

You'll be happier IMO with OSX. And for that I would suggest not much less than 30gb HDD.

7. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

save up

We have an old G3 just like that at home, but I wouldn't recommend it if you want to "get your feet wet" in the Mac world. It is very slow for todays needs and you'll have wished you spent more money. You won't see the full potential of what you can do with an Apple computer if you get that. You also probably won't get the lastest software (i.e., panther, iLife 04'). Like everyone else has said, save the money and buy the cheapest new iBook, it will do everything you need and you get to really feel the potential of the Mac. It will also come WITH a wireless card, which would cost you atleast $100 for that G3 since the regular AirPort card isn't made anymore. You will definitely want that for around campus.