Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by radioneck, Feb 4, 2003.

1. radioneck macrumors newbie

Feb 4, 2003
    i have an option of buying a g4 power mac 933 with 1 gig of memory, super drive, 2x60 gig drives, etc for $1400.00 or the new 1 gig stock, or the new 17" I mac. Any advice?

2. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
  3. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2002
    Assuming that comes with a display, i;d say thats a good deal. Otherwise an iMac would be better.
  4. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Jul 22, 2002
    Toledo, OH, formerly Twin Cities, MN
    Um...that's prolly out of his price range.
    [EDIT]I meant the 17" powerbook suggestion[/EDIT]

It depends on what you need the computer for...i would prolly go with the imac, but i'm not great at giving advice.

Poweruser, need the HD space, upgradability? get the powermac for certain.

But the iMac is a decent computer w/ decent specs, for $400 more. But it's not really upgradable...remember that.

Go iMac. :)
  5. radioneck thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 4, 2003
    Thank you

That's what I thought. But I;ve been torn. I use my mac for music media burning, DVD burning and other music biz media. I want an upgradable computer but I would alos love a new flat screen hence the dilema about buying the 17" imac.

Thank you again for the replies. Any other feedback please post.

6. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Are you burning data DVDs or Video DVDs?
    Having or not having an L3 cache for some of the applications you want to run might make a noticable performance difference.
  7. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    Re: Thank you

If you are doing a lot of burning having a dual processor is invaluable. No matter how much you throw at it Video-DVD-R etc. you still have a useable computer that you can even play games on while it burns. If you play games at all (you didn't mention that you did) don't fret over a flat panel. CRTs still have better picture, sharper image, better colors, brighter, higher resolution, etc. for a lot less money.
  8. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    Does the $1400 include a monitor? The 15" LCDs are in the $300 range these days.

First let's take the $1400 933/superdrive against the new 1G powermac. The used machine has more memory and drives and a superdrive. In fact, it's maxed out. To make the new PM match these capabilities would go over $2K, and you still need a monitor. OTOH, the 933 is used and the drives may have some miles on them.

Against the iMac, getting the iMac to 1G RAM could be costly. And I don't think it'd be faster than the 933. But it does come with a screen.

So I'd say if the $1400 includes a 15" LCD or better, go for it. If it includes a 19" or bigger CRT, go for it. If it includes a smaller CRT or no monitor, try to talk the guy down to $1200 and shop for an LCD.