Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by galstaph, Aug 2, 2006.

1. galstaph macrumors 6502a

Jul 24, 2002
    The Great White North Eh
    I am contemplating getting another mac to complement my ibook. i came across this one in a local paper:

"POWERMAC G5 with 1.6Ghz processor, 160 GB and 300 GB hard drives, 768 MB RAM, 4x DVD/CD burner, Radeon 9800 video card with 256 MB. Fantastic for video editing, working with music and photo files, games, etc. and works flawlessly. Has USB2 (3 ports), Firewire 400 (2 ports)/800 (1 port), Gigabit ethernet, and optical audio out. Comes with OS X 10.4 "Tiger" with installation disks and PowerMac G5 Software Install and Restore DVD. Software bundled by Apple includes iLife and Quicken. Video card can power 2 monitors and will include 2 17" NEC CRT monitors if you would like. $1000. obo"

Is this a good machine/deal? I know it would kick butt on my ibook, but would it be one of those "I should have spent 300$ more for a macbook or bought a intel mini" kinda regrets?
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    For $1000 that's a pretty good buy IMO. If you are worried about lagging behind as far as intel goes, I would expect intel processor upgrades for G5 models out for maybe $1300 total you'd have a really good system.
  3. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
  4. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2006
    Testicles. That is all.
    Personally; i'd get an imac instead; it'll be faster for just about anything.
  5. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

May 25, 2006
    Arlington VA
    Wouldn't it depend on which programs you plan to use? If you are trying to do some heavy editing/processor intensive non universal applications, i would go for the powermac. If you want to have intel and powerpc macs, or if the programs you use are universal; go for a mini, macbook, or imac.
  6. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2006
    It does sound like a good deal. If you buy it, say how you rte it and if it was good value in the end. See if he can preintall a few more apps on it as well such as photoshop or something to make it better value for you.
  7. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Dec 29, 2003
    West Coast
    I'm with the guy who says get an iMac instead.

A year or two down the road, the PPC chips are going to feel ancient; any Intel chip is going to still be relatively new.

I mean, that's a 3 year old machine.

Also, you've already get an iBook, so you don't want to paint yourself in the corner and have TWO legacy machines running pre-Intel chips.

But that's just my opinion...
  8. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2006
    Testicles. That is all.
    The powerpc can be slightly faster after it significantly passes the the clock speed of the core duo because it's a laptop processor; a quad G5 will Encode a H.264 movie faster than an imac; a 1.6GHz g5 will encode SLOWER than the imac.
  9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

Aug 7, 2005
    Up the irons
    I'd rather have that G5 and the two monitors than a macbook.
  10. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

May 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Eh, that's an ok deal. I'd spend the extra couple hundred on an iMac. The 1.6 G5 is a bit slow in my opinion. I mean, I bought a Dual 2Ghz G5 PowerMac off of eBay a while back for $1000 (same GPU, RAM, and HD), granted it had a dented case, but the thing worked like new.