Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by davidjearly, Oct 22, 2006.

1. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I have been offered the following system for the price below:

12" Powerbook G4 1.33Ghz
    768MB Ram (Upgraded from 256MB),
    100GB 5400 RPM HDD (Upgraded from 60GB),
    Combo Drive,
    NVidia GeForce FX Go5200 64MB DDR,
    Built in Airport/Bluetooth,
    3 Apple batteries (1 Brand New),
    Tucano Second Skin.

I would be getting it for £470 shipped.
    I really am in need of a portable Mac of my own. Bought my GF a MacBook recently but I need something portable for myself when the MB is not available.

I don't need the power of Intel in a Laptop and would prefer the smaller screen anyway.

What do you guys think about this?

David

2. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

i don't really know much about the British pound or the prices of things in pounds but so far i think it's a good deal, if you only need it as a substitute for on the go then i think it's good

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

that's about $900US which is only $50 below a base MacBook. Although the extra stuff that they are adding in would increase the value. I've seen 12" Powerbooks go for below $700US on ebay before and that's just with an adapter and the powerbook, just to give you some scale.

4. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Thats pretty good buy British pricing. (its approx $884, but in the states, I guess these would sell for less regardless)

For that price, I would try looking around for the last generation 12" PB. If not, then thats a pretty good deal with 3 batteries, ram and Hd upgrade.

I'd buy it if I wanted one... Although, I dont because the screen appears to dark for me.

5. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

A Macbook here starts at £749 ($1410 approx). Just to give a scope for how much European users get ripped off compaired to the US.

6. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

The main extras are the 3 batteries and the 100GB hd which is pretty huge for a small laptop. I dont think you'll find many 12'' PB with that large a HD, especially as replacing the HD is a bit of a pain on them.

It's a sweet little machine, and you have a good deal if you plan to spend a lot of time away from mains power.

You could probably sell it for about £300 in a year.

For me, I'd probaby:

- up the ram to about a gig - by replacing the 256 meg stick with a 512 or 1gb stick. (you only need to do this if you feel you need it)

- buy a cheapish TFT either 17'' or 19'' for use at home when the screen isn't enough. (again, only if you feel you need it)

After that, that's just about the ultimate perfect computer system :)

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I personally think it's a great deal and you should jump at it.

8. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

I would love to have three batteries and that alone makes up for the price difference between Euro and North American Macs. Get it.