Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by imac9556, Jul 12, 2004.

1. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    I'm thinking of getting a powerbook g4 15in for my birthday.
    At my local Apple Authorized dealer, they have a sale for the following powerbook g4:

PowerBook G4 M8980L; PowerPC G4 Processor 1.0GHz with Velocity Engine; 256MB DDR-333 RAM; 60GB Hard Drive; Combo 8x24x10x24 DVD-ROM/CD-RW Drive; 56K v.92 Modem; 10/100/1000 Network Adapter; Bluetooth 1.1 Adapter; 15.2" Widescreen Active Matrix Display; Mac OS X

With Free:
    1) Apple Airport Extreme Card
    2) MacAlly 3 in 1 Travel Kit includes iceJr USB Optical Mini Mouse, Hub-Mini
    4 Port USB Slim Hub and LP-1394 Firewire retractable 5ft. cable.

Price of this system is: $1,399

Is this a good deal? I have till July 25, to get this deal because its a special that they are running.

Is it better to wait and then get a laptop after the new iMac announcements or wait longer for a lower price of the current models? Or is this deal a "steal"?

Thank you very much,
  2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    yea, I would deffinatly say this deal is a 'steal.'

The only difference between the PowerBook you want and the stock 1.33GHz PowerBook at is 330 MHz.

- you get the MacAlly travel kit thingy
    - you get a USB hub and retractiable FW cable
    - $600 cheaper

- you loose 330 MHz

If I needed a PowerBook right now, I'd go with your deal.
  3. imac9556 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    thanks for your reply.
    Do you think if I wait a couple more months, the current line will be as cheap as this model?
    I have a powerbook g4 12in 867 right now, would this new PB be better in, alot?
    If i were to buy this powerbook g4 15in, would Tiger ready for it? (core audio, video, etc)
    thank you very much,
    Paul T
  4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
  5. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    If by a couple of months you mean at Paris or within the next 3 months, I doubt we will see an update/revision.

No, your new PowerBook will not be a huge leap in speed. 133 MHz in NOT going to make a difference. If I had to guess you would see a 10% preformance increase.(assuming both PBs have the same ammount of RAM, HD RPM, ect.

Yea, Tiger should run pretty well on it. You don't need to worry too much, as long as you have 512 MB of RAM if your doing email, web browsing, chat, ect. If your doing photoshop and stuff like that, I would recomend 1 GB.

And in light of your computer you have now, I would not upgrade, because spending all this money to get ~10% preformance is not worth it.
  6. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    New Jersey USA
    Since its an authorized dealer and the freebies and such, its well worth your money if you need a Mac NOW. It will always be faster, cheaper and better in the future. But if it meets your needs, and the price it right (it is here) then go for it.

Its a nice machine, and unless you do a lot of work with video, coding, data manipulation or intense filters and large format graphics, for day to day use you will never notice those 330 mhz.
  7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    The only real advantage this computer has over your current Powerbook is screen size and graphics card, which is fully Core Image supported, unlike the card in your 12" PB.
  8. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2003
    Considering your current PB, I'd suggest thinking about different ways to spend $1400 birthday money. The performance difference will not be big. It's not worth it for the novelty of running an unfinished OS (tiger). Wait at least until your next Birthday for a computer that will both come with, and fully support tiger. Plus that will leave time to see what the new iMac is going to be. Maybe you'll be happy with keeping your PB and adding an iMac to the collection.
  9. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

May 10, 2004
    I Come From A Land Down Under
    Can you tell me weather this is on the net too? Also, what is the name of your Apple store?