Is This A Good Or Bad Sign For The Video Game Industry??

Discussion in 'Games' started by Macamus Prime, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/25/news_6129707.html

Now, the Godfather was TRASHED by Coppola:
    http://www.gamepro.com/gamepro/domestic/games/news/44349.shtml

Which is understood why it was pushed back. With that, the stock dropped. Then went back up when more games were announced.

Is this a sign that game makers and publishers will focus on stock market performance and NOT game quality performance? Video games going "main stream" will now have to meet different levels of success, based on things that have NOTHING to do with the game itself.

I think this is a sign of more glut and awful games to come.

WHAT SAY YOU!?!

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

anything that involves the death of EA Games is surely a brilliant moment, it will go down in history besides the tearing down of the Berlin wall, or the slow and painfall pull-down of the Saddam Hussein statue.

really i've yet to find a fan of EA games. they get spat upon on the game making forums im part of.

3. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

I'd be more worried if our elected leaders started making decisions just to please Satans little helpers. :rolleyes:

4. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Not to mention the lack of patches for BF2 and releasing xpacks while there are still prob's with the original

5. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

EA has some decent sports games and burnout and..... ummm.... that's about it. As far as reacting to the stock market, every public company worries about this stuff to an extent.

All this means is that some people thought that with the godfather delayed, EA is likely to earn less money in 05 (compared with 04) than other companies. Therefore, they put their money where they thought it would earn them a better return.

Is this bad for gaming? Not at all. It forces companies to be efficient and effective. Also, think how much better this game will be with an extra year of dev time. When the game gets steller reviews, sells 10 million copies, and puts $500 million on the top line of EA's income statement the stock will go up. And everyone who bought EA right after it dropped a dollar will be laughing their paid asses off.

6. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I really hate EA. Apart from some good sport video games, they have nothing more. I think that EA is the only company that will not ever EVER really contribute to gaming...

7. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Gee. Whenever I think of Coppola, I am reminded of Godfather III. And then my head hurts for a while. -_-

8. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

So you mean it will be a staged event witnessed by a pre-selected crowd of "regular EA stockholders" who are actually *insert rival developer here* sympathizers?

Because that doesn't sound very fun :rolleyes: