Is this a good PC Dekstop to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kmarketing, Dec 2, 2006.

1. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Hi,

I can get a HP Compaq dc7100 for $200. It has a small footprint, so its not as upgradeable as a full size machine, but I do want something that doesn't take up much space. It's only for the small cpu, keyboard and mouse.

It has Pentium 4 3.0ghz
    512mb Memory
    40gb Hard Drive

Here is a link to what it looks like and a description:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_Compaq_Business_Desktop_dc7100/4505-3118_7-30919191.html

I wouldn't be playing games on it, just wanted to have a pc around as I begin building a website.

What do you think?

Thanks!

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

200 bucks seems worth it. Sure, why not? The HD just seems a bit small

3. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

I do have a 160gb SATA drive from the g5 that a sold a while ago that I could put in.

But $200 sounds decent? I just haven't bought anything pc in quite some time.

Thanks!

4. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Yeah, then add some RAM.

If you are playing games check the video card, of course you can upgrade that too.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, HPs aren't really good machines.

5. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

I won't be playing games, not that I imagine. I don't think I can change the video card on it because its so small, I don't think it takes full size video cards. Do you think I will need a better one if I'm not playing games on it? It does have a 128mb Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900.

I don't know much about pc's and definitely not much about hp's. I am wondering what 3ghz pc's go for, and if $200 is about the right range for the processor that it has etc. Or should I go with something else for $200?

The one thing that I do love about this machine, is that it fits nicely on its side on the desk instead of a full size machine that I would have to put under the desk. In terms of size, it doesn't seem much bigger than a 14" ibook.

Thanks!

6. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Having worked on, around, with and in computers for the last 13 years, I have always thought that HP made quality stuff. When compared to other PC makers, they also have a bit of style (not that that says much). I think $200 for the computer shown above is about right. You may be able to find something a little cheaper on eBay but not by much. 3GHz sounds fine for what you will be using it for. 512MB of RAM is also sufficient for most applications. Unlike Mac OS, Windows will function fine doing light computing on as little as 256MB (Try running Tiger on 256MB) so 512MB shouldn't be a problem at all.

Now, you may want to see if the computer has a PCI-E slot or perhaps an AGP slot so that if you do want to go back and add a dedicated graphics card you can.

Edit: Also you mention that it has a 128MB integrated Intel graphics chipset. This means that you will only have 384MB of RAM. Again, if you are only using the machine to test web pages, it is more than sufficient.

7. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

The style bit is one of the factors why the computer seems appealing. I'm used to seeing these huge desktops and all, but this one is really small and quite appealing.

It has 1 pci slot, which is about it in terms of pci expandability. It can take up to 3gb memory and 8 usb 2.0.

For $200 is there something else you could recommend with that size and style?

Thanks!

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

9. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Thanks, I definitely don't want to spend too much on a pc.

The processor is a Pentium 4 530 with HT Technology. Is that good? I have no idea about processors.

I also have a dell inspiron 5000 pentium III laptop that I got for $50. Is that good enough for what I want to do (website work, internet access, music, photos, etc.) Maybe I won't need the desktop? I was just thinking having a dedicated desktop for that stuff would be more reliable. I could then sell the laptop.

So I have right now:
    the macbook pro
    PM dual g4 450 - I bought for $50
    Dell Inspiron 5000 - I bought for $50
    Possible HP dc7100 for $200

As you can see, I'm pretty cheap! We sold our 12" powerbook, so with the money I was thinking of going towards an imac but am trying to hold off until next year with possibly the intro of leopard etc.

So any suggestions?

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

as long as you have >512Mb memory(1G is better if you want), >800MHz CPU, you are fine with everything you said you wanna do.
    HT is more like a prototype CuoDuo, its about double the efficiency of CPU for certain task at certain situation, I think.
    If you ask me I would only ask for a desktop if I
    1) set up a media center with stereos, speakers, HDTV, etc with a desktop computer (which is what i did with my Mini)
    2) play game, since my laptop isn't for it. (I actually still don't have a good desktop for this, need to get some money first..)

11. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

The dell 5000 is a pentium III 600 with 256mb memory, 16mb video memory. The thing I love is the screen which is 1400x1050. The hard drive is 60gb but 4200 speed. Do you think that would be more suitable for me than the desktop?

Thanks!

12. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

I also forgot to mention that a friend gave me his dell inspiron 6000 machine, centrino pentium m. How does pentium m compare with the pentium 4 in the desktop?

Thanks!

13. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

i'm not sure i quite follow your intentions, OP... why do you need a PC? I'm surprised I'm the first one to question this decision. Do you just need windows to test out a website your making? In that case, what's wrong with your current PC laptop? Or even using BootCamp on your MBP?

14. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

why don't you forget the desktop and install Windows (via BootCamp or Parallels) on the MBP after upgrading the RAM?

seems like a more sound decision, to me. but if you don't want Windows on your Mac, i'd go with the original HP for $200. you probably don't need to have all those extra laptops around, either, but i don't know exactly what you do and why you might need them.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

p4 mobile 2.0G approximately as good as petium M 1.8G, they are both good tho,

I think you need more memory for your dell, 256 is enough to run win xp, but not smooth. others sounds ok

16. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Good points!

I thought about windows on the mac, but would prefer not to.

I definitely want to keep only one pc, and hopefully the sales of the other ones can cover the costs. I was thinking of keeping the inspiron 5000 as a rugged laptop to bring anywhere instead of carrying the macbook pro.

Otherwise, like I mentioned the HP desktop is about the size of a 14" ibook but a bit thicker. I just don't know if there is anything better I can get for the $200.

How outdated is that pentium 4 processor?

thanks!

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

petium 4 is good, its direct predecessor of Intel Core series CPU. my compaq laptop is petium4 m 1.8Ghz powered, its really good. It runs M$ office 2003/Nvu/Dreamweaver/Firefox/openoffice/ realplayer/ DVD shrink/ without any problem, and fast

18. Spidey79 macrumors newbie

ic

The pentium 4's architecture is sufficient to run most light-demanding work. I personally have a p4 479 chipset running at 3.0ghz with 500 gigs of hd, xp pro sp2. I edit and do everything on this pc. I can edit videos as much as I want, but i knowit is long in the tooth. I would recommend buying it, but u need to upgrade the ram to at least 1 gig and re-install windows. After this, this will become tolerable. Remember, never to skimp out on features on the machine, remember that youare using it and u want the best experience possible. Get it, it is worth it

19. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Thanks for everyone's insight. I'm about to buy it, but I also saw this in todays ads:
    http://compusa.shoplocal.com/compusa/Default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&storeid=2402274&rapid=342920&pagenumber=16&listingid=-2094028649

It's also a pentium 4 but more upgradeable. Not as stylish and not as space-saving, it will cost about $100 more +tax and after rebates.

What do you think? How are emachines?

I really don't want to spend more than I have to, but don't want to get a machine that will be obsolete right away either.

Here are some pics of what the dc7100 looks like. I'll probably have it on its side. So if you can imagine an ibook with the thickness of maybe 1.5-2 mice. What do you think?

Thanks!

Attached Files: