Is this a good price for external storage?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Xtremehkr, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004

or, slightly smaller

These two are the best priced external drives I have been able to find so far. I haven't ever had any problems with products bought from Costco (they even offer iPods at a $20 discount) and this seems like a pretty good deal. I already have some external storage but want a little more and thought I would shop around this time as it is not urgent. Any thoughts, concerns or suggestions?
  2. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    the 400GB one costs $0.90/GB, and the 250GB one is $0.72/GB.

the 250GB one is at a pretty decent price. That's just slightly more expensive than if you were to buy a bare drive and enclosure separately and put it together yourself. if that SimpleTech hdd comes with a warranty, go for it.
  3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    I'm betting that the Firewire/USB bridge in the enclosure is not from the best manufacturer(s), so if you're looking for speed, I would look elsewhere... or at least look for the Oxford 9xx bridges.
  4. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    according to their website, the 120 and 160GB versions carry a 1 year warranty and the 250 and 400GB versions come with 3 years...
    i wish they carried the 250 at sam's club... they have every other model... :rolleyes:

i'm trying to find the chipsets on the site now.

5. intlplby macrumors member

Jul 14, 2004
  6. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    Oxford 911 is for FireWire 400

Oxford 922 is for FireWire 800

Yes Oxford is the best. :)
  7. madog macrumors 65816

Nov 25, 2004
    Korova Milkbar

If you have a Cosco[costco?] card.... or know someone that does.... [that is, if you have a Cosco in your area/country] go there. I went the other day with my buddy [you NEED a card to get in/purchase] and I bought 200 blank cd-r's [TDK] for $24.99 EACH. Never have I seen a price that low for a 100pk unless some special mail-in rebate was with it especially for a name brand like TDK. Also, [I was so close to buying it] they had internal 250GB hd's for only $160. When comparing that to a ext. 200gb fw drive my friend got for $200+ and an OEM int. 160gb I bought for $99 [normally around $150 at the time]..... that's a damn good price.

Maybe a random post but I thought that I had to share that with you.

Also, Cosco is the best place to buy DVD's and games and anything else. My buddy bought an Xbox deal that day too. $180 for it all: 2 month trial to Xbox live, the console, 2 games, 2 controllers [the small good ones] and an ***** memory card.

Man, you'd think I worked at that place with me bragging about it so.... but it was like being a kid in a candy store. I haven't been there in about 10 years so it was awesome =)

[$160 for 250gb's! Man, Apple should stock up on supplies from them and maybe their systems wouldn't cost so much.]

That's my 5 1/2 cents.

Oh yeah.. you should try out those price compare sites like and cnet, you can find some good places or at least get a good idea on what you you should be paying for items. Do your research first. It might take longer but it's always worth it.