Is this a good trade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Patmian212, May 24, 2005.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hi all,
    I recently got my first mac and I cant use my PC anymore, its just anoying. I even stoped gaming, except for WoW on my ibook. Anyway I got an offer to trade my PC for an older mac and I am intrigued since I have a laptop and I would like a desktop to complete the set.
    The deal is my pc+I give him 75 euros
    PC specs
    P4
    1.8ghz
    768 mb Ram
    40 GB HD
    Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 128mb
    6 USB ports
    No Firewire
    DVD Reader
    24X cd burner

Mac
    G4 (Yikes I think, might be sawtooth
    400mhz
    568 MB Ram
    40 GB
    DVD drive
    16mb video
    17" Apple CRT

Is it worth it, I mean I know it will be slower but am I just being stupid? Also how would it run Panther or Tiger and does it use PC SD 100 or 133 ram?

Thanks
    Patmian212

2. 36183 Guest

try selling it and see if you can get money to buy a better mac. by the way is your pc monitor part of the trade ?

3. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

4. macorama macrumors regular

Slowly!

5. ArcticFox macrumors member

That Mac would be slower than a waterfall of frozen mollasses. Don't do it.

6. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Despite that mac being slow, I think its your best bet, simply because you won't get much cash for your PC. I say do the trade and see if the Mac meets your needs. If it doesn't you can sell it and use the money to upgrade to a faster model. Besically, I think its a deal reguardless....simply because that Mac definatly has a higher resale value than the PC.

7. pinto32 macrumors 6502

As a follow-up to the other two replies, yes, it will be slow in comparison to current models, but it will still be quite good for basic uses, just don't plan on doing a lot of multimedia editing, etc.

The memory is what matters teh most....as long as you have 512MB in a Mac (which I believe it does) you will get acceptable performance for everyday use.

The Macs in my college library are single 500Mhz Powermacs with 256MB of memory, and I have never found them lacking for web browsing, Appleworks, or MS Office.

8. sigamy macrumors 65816

Raw spec-wise you are getting less of a machine but you are getting a machine that runs Mac OS! This PM will run Panther (and Tiger) fine for web/email/iTunes and Office apps.

It's not that bad of a deal if you keep the cash out. That PM is probably going for $350 on eBay, plus $50 for the monitor. What is a used 1.8Ghz P4 worth when Dell sells new 2.5Ghz machines for $300?

In order to get any value for your PC you'd probably have to sell it off as components. If you don't have the time/desire to do that AND if you just want a Mac desktop to play around with then this may be a good deal.

Just do a straight up swap, no cash out of hand, and this is an OK deal.

9. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Ok no cash, since the cash is out of the deal ill probably buy a better GFX card and probably a proccesor upgrade(700mhz maybe). All I want it for is firefox, msn, some photoshop and ms office.

Also is the crt any good?

10. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hi sorry for the bump but I need a question answered.

I have a 128mb stick of samsung pc sd 100 ram. Do you guys know if the yikes/sawtooth take pc 133 or pc100 ram? Also do you guys think the samsung stick will work?

Another thing I looked up the specs of the appl crt to see if it is better then my current crt but I dont understand the specs, I'm kind off a monitor newbie. Can you guys tell me whats better, blueberry 17" apple crt or a 17" LG 701S

THANKS
    patmian