Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Hey everyone,

We're thinking of getting a new router. My dad does not have wireless on his laptop, and therefore must use a wired connection. Normally we have the printer hooked up to the main computer (which all other laptops wirelessly connect to) and he takes the usb cord when he needs it. For simplicity's sake, is this a possible scenario?

We buy a new router with a usb port (meaning we can wirelessly print from that to the main computer and all other laptops). But so we can reduce the amount of cable switching, we have bot a wireless hookup (for us) and a wired one for my dad. Is this possible? The way I can see it being done (if such a product exists) would be to have a sort of reverse usb splitter with a female connection as opposed to a male. That way the printer usb would feed into this port, which then goes to two seperate usb cords. One for my dad. and one to the router.

Is this at all possible?

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
I have an Airport Extreme base (with the USB port for printers). I was able to wirelessly print from my laptop and also print via a wired ethernet connection from my desktop. No switching of wires needed. There would be only one USB cable that connects the printer to the base. Then the printer would be available to everyone on your home network, either wireless or wired.

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Alright sorry. Looking back over my post I didn't mention it but, he'd prefer to not have any ethernet connections or anything like that. He doesn't want any possible internet connection. Even if a web browser isn't installed, he'd prefer to be free of the router completely. Meaning the desktop and two laptops would be on a wireless connection and he'd be independent of all of us. He's got a lot of important stuff on his laptop and doesn't want to have any connection to the internet... even if there is no web browser installed.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Buy another printer for his laptop if he feels too threatened by the internet..

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Well, obviously that's one solution, but is there anything less expensive? There's no need to buy a new printer just for the sake of switching a few cords.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I have seen USB selector switches before - you have 2 USB cables going into the printer and you just switch the selector over to your dad's USB cable when he wants to print and pop it back to the original position for router printing.

Probably not the most convinent but you won't get anything easier than wireless devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.