Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macrlz9, Jan 22, 2005.

1. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

I am selling a laptop on ebay (see link) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6737364192 i wanted my friends here at mac rumors to give me an honest opinion. Today i received an email from a gentelman in the UK offering me 2900 for the laptop to ship it to the uk and to use www.safeweb-transactions.net for escrow service.... now i've never heard of them, i went to contact info and there isnt' much there, no number, no address or anything. i was wondering if you guys thought this was safe or not?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Total scam. Do NOT use an escrow service. If you must use something like this, stick with PayPal.

EDIT: Especially since these guys have their domain name registered from ARGENTINA. Click here to see their Whois info. Avoid these folks like the plague.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Looks a lot like one of the escrow sites that is a scam in a can...
    Sort of like saying you're part of Apple because your server is an XServe.

And the previous paragraph is a lie, this scam in a can keeps changing the name -- but the spelling mistakes elsewhere on the site never gets fixed.

4. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

ok ok so by using pay pal, how does that work exactly. how is that guaranteed that no one will get screwed over? would he send me the money via pay pal and then i send the machine out? i know how that is safe for me but what about for him?

5. Bob_Barker macrumors regular

I would not deal with this guy in any way, shape, or form. It is almost always a red flag when someone suggests using an escrow service that is not escrow.com On paypal, there is a limit to what you can recover. The most I have ever recovered from a paypal transaction gone bad is $300. I am not saying that is the limit, but that is my best experience.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You are still willing to go through with a sale after they tried to scam you with a fake escrow site.

These are usually organized crime rings, why go through with it? :confused:

7. macrlz9 thread starter macrumors 6502

macrlz9

well i understand that but if this guy is for real trading over pay pal is harmless because i instantly get the money so i have nothing to worry about then right? there is a chance that this guy is legitimate.

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I agree with the others... this guy's more than likely trying to scam you, so I'd blow him off.

The point of mentioning PayPal is that they are a reputable service that everyone's heard of... so you can expect that they aren't part of some scheme to try to rip you off. THAT'S why you shouldn't use an escrow service... there is no level of trust already in place.

Oh, and the other reason to use PayPal is that you get paid BEFORE you send off the merchandise. NEVER, EVER send the goods before you get the money, unless you know the person with whom you're dealing and trust them.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

If you have to ask, then it's a scam. People ususally know the truth about these "deals," but just want to believe that it's true...

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

STEP AWAY FROM THE SCAM. PUT DOWN THE MERCHANDISE.

Do not trade with this guy. Better to loose a sale than be scammed.

That is what you should do. Do otherwise, and you have no sympathy from me. But if you don't trade with this guy, I'm right behind you.