Is this a scam???

Discussion in 'Community' started by obelix, Mar 4, 2005.

1. obelix macrumors member

Oct 20, 2004
    My friend is trying to sell her hunk of junk Datsun 510 wagon for around $500 and she got this email today in which a guy was telling her he wanted to buy her car. She forwarded the email to me and something looks VERY suspicioius. I just can't figure out why... the car isn't worth anything. Why would someone try to scam someone else for such a pitiful amount of money. What do you guys think of this....(The spelling and punctuation this guy uses is horrible!)

We are interested in buying your above mentioned 510 wagon at advertised
    rate. Wagon will be picked up from your location for onward shipping to
    us. Cost and modalities of shipping to be born by us.  Payment for the
    purchase is by cheque through a debtor in US. The debtor  owes us
    higher  than your asking price. He will therefore be sending you a
    cheque for $5,000 to cover the cost of our purchase, as well as the Shipping
    costs.  On receipt of the cheque, you will cash and deduct your
    asking price. The balance you will send as we would instruct you to the
    Agency that will ship the 510 wagon to us. If this arrangement suites you
    fine, please send us your address where to send the cheque, as well as the
    name to be on it. Also send us your phone number for easy communication.
    Looking forward to hearing from you.  Thank you.  Best Regards
     Send instant messages to your online friends
  2. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    If you think to ask the answer is probably yes.

This stinks like yesterday's diapers.
  3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    $5000 for a $500 car? Oh, yeah, that's not suspicious. :rolleyes:

If this were a movie, see, the reason they would want the car so bad is that while your friend was driving cross-country, she stopped at a gas station, and some foreign cocaine smugglers, see, were at the same gas station, only a cop car pulled up, and they needed someplace to stash the stuff quick, so they saw your friend's car, and the back window was open, and while she was inside paying for the gas, they pulled down the rear seat and hid their stash back there, only your friend didn't know about it and drove off with it, and they didn't get the license number, they only know that it's a junky Datsun 510 wagon, and ever since they've been scanning the papers and e-Bay because their boss will kill 'em if they don't get the coke back.

So, uh, that's about the only way that his deal is legit.
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    This was a scam from two years ago, chances are nearly 99.999% that the cashiers check is fraudulent.

All I can say is go for it, I always like these scams where they pay somebody to steal their car.

Really good deal for them, you'll pay them $4500 to take the car off your hand and owe the bank $5000 when the check bounces in 4 weeks.

So, yes -- go for it. :rolleyes:
  5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
  6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Fraud signatures:
    #1: I buy something from you but you have to send *me* money
    #2: I buy something from you but I will have someone else pay for it
    #3: I buy something from you regardless of the price and how unreasonable it is to ship it
    #4: I buy something from you but I don't have a sweet clue what it is I am buying
    #5: Someone else will pick up the goods or they will be sent to someone other than the buyer
    #6: Buyer has a or address (or any other free webmail address that cannot be traced and does not require ID to get)
    #19: The purchase is somehow "Urgent"
    #22: The buyer claims to have a store or business they need the goods for
    #43: Use of the word "modalities"
    #71: Someone pretending to be a native English speaker using ALL CAPS for last name and/or last-name-first format. example SMITH Robert
    #75: Inappropriate (or at least improbable) use of common first name as a last name and vice-versa. example Mr. Jones WILLIAM
  7. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    Why would someone make you go through all that if it were legit? Transactions usally go: I give you money, you give me product once you obtain said money.

See simple. :p
  8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    But it's much better for me if: You give me money, You give me product, You pay bank back the money you gave me.

See simple... [​IMG]
  9. obelix thread starter macrumors member

Oct 20, 2004
    Thanks for the help guys. I've told her should should DEFINITELY NOT interact with this guy anymore. I am so happy I had the good sense to post this to the sensible people at MacRumors. Thanks all :D
  10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
  11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Oh my......I didn't expect to read such a blatant scam when I clicked on this thread.... :confused: :eek:
  12. Vader macrumors 65816

Oct 11, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    That is a Nigerian scam!
    I got that tried on us, the check they sent (money order) looked so fake!
    We turned all the stuff to the FBI.