Is this above iMovie's capabilities?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hikeNM, Apr 8, 2005.

1. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

I'm working on a video that needs several things that I haven't been able to figure how to do in iMovie. Maybe somebody can tell me how to do it or if iMovie can do it at all.

First off, I have a section that needs to be just a black screen with text that lasts for a while, maybe 15-20 seconds. Is there anyway to put text on a black screen without it being a title? I can't get any of the title's to last that long, and, even if they did, most of them are too cheesy for what I need anyway.

Second, I have pieces of video where people are talking. Unfortunately, I need to "bleep" out a word, or two, they say. Does anybody know where I can get the "bleep" that gets used in TV all time, in a form that can be used in iMovie?

Thanks for the help.

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

yep should be able to do that - you just need to play with iMovie for a while and it will all come together , the bleep is easy just search google for some wav's or create your own bleep in garageband!

depending on your skill level and also what you expect to get out of iMovie might either be great or a dissapointment ! final cut express is the next step up from iMovie and is very much better the iMovie , so if you find you are getting bad results out of iMovie try moving up to FCE

i use FCE and iMovie all the time - and find iMovie to be easy and quick for small projects but if i want a better looking vid i will spend more time on FCE

enjoy

EDIT : black screen ! get a black screen clip , another vid source like a movie trailer and cut it and just slow it down to what ever you want - nice and simple

3. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply, but I've played with it enough that my wife is worrying about me and still haven't been able to figure out how to do it. Could you be more specific?

I think I can find a bleep though, or make one in Garageband.

Thanks

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I would think the simplest way to use the beep is to adjust the volume of that particular video clip to be zero for the brief moment the person talks, then add another audio track with the "bleep" sound at that time.

5. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought about using a black screen video clip, but how do you get text over it with the text being a "title"? If I can put in text without the text being a "title", then it's no problem. The limits on title's length is what's causing the problem.

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

If it's not a moving title, you could generate the title graphic in another application like GraphicConverter and then import that graphic as a still into iMovie and stretch it to the length you want.

7. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haven't thought about that! Thanks a bunch!

8. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

I second moving up to Final Cut Express once you start to encounter more of these situations (which are called "outgrowing iMovie", lol). iMovie and FCE combined (and Livetype especially, which is bundled with FCE now and is in my opinion an absolutely superb [though a little slow] app) make for a great video editing environment - I use iMovie when I want stuff to look low-budget (with it's great rain/snow/earthquake/etc. effects and sounds), and Final Cut and Livetype for more serious work.
    In fact, I'd go almost as far as to say that after iTunes, Final Cut is quite possibly the best-designed, most productive app I've ever used. Although when you first switch over from iMovie - prepare to be intimidated!

9. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

It's easy

Go to the screen to set up a title, pick the one you want. Then check in the box that says "over black" and drag it onto the timeline. This will make a new chunk of video that is just text on a black screen.

For sound, I would find a sound file that does the "bleep" and insert it. Then take the volume of the actualy video footage for that small moment and take it down.