Is this all i need for a wirless internet connection

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by smwatson, Nov 12, 2005.

1. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

When my new iMac arrives i hope to set it up for wireless internet access using this router http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...698937&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper However, i still want to have a wired internet connection for my PC as it needs all the speed it can get ;) So would i just plug my phone line into the router, and then the ethernet cable into my PC, and my iMac would still be able to access the internet through it? Thanks guys

2. brandon6684 Guest

Now you say plug the phone line into the router, are you on dial up, or do you have DSL or Cable. Plugging a phone line into a router won't do any good.

3. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

i doubt u can plug it in!

4. brandon6684 Guest

People will alway find a way.

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

If you have DSL or Cable, yes the WRT54G is what you want. If you have dialup, you'll need a router that does dialup (like the AP Extreme base station if they still make it with a modem, if not you can get an older one).

6. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

haha..maybe get the Ethernet special adapter..one side is an ethernet like plug and one side for u to plug in the telco line...

7. smwatson thread starter macrumors 6502a

smwatson

so i need my current ADSL modem and the linksys router that i gave the link to? My modem is a BTVoyager 100 btw. Thanks

8. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

yes if your modem's an ADSL modem...if you don't wanna use so many devices, get a wireless router+modem and you're all set. you don't need that modem anymore...