Is this an Airport problem? Please help -- I'm going nuts!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cleo, Jan 5, 2005.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Ok, here's the deal. I'm revamping my personal site at a new domain (gobecky.com). Around noon today I suddenly lost access to the site; Safari times out and says "server not found" and Mail can't connect, either. I assumed it was my host, so I emailed them and they said everything was working fine, to contact my ISP. So I contacted my ISP, and the tech support girl (yes, *girl* -- how cool was that?) was able to see the site just fine (ok, let me warn you that it's just a text placeholder up now... my skillz are a bit, ah, madder than that). Anyway, she had me clear my browser cache, history, and cookies, reboot, reboot my cable modem and Airport, all to no avail. She then informed me it was a problem with my host. So then I called my two next-door neighbors, one who uses the same ISP (Roadrunner) and the other who has DSL, and they both can see the page. None of the computers in my house, PC or Mac, can see the page. The rest of the internet is perfectly accessible (obviously, because I'm posting this).

So... wtf? Would my Airport just have up and decided to block me from the one site I actually need to access? Given that my neighbor can reach it, it seems that this must be something with my network, but what? Is it possible that it's actually a problem out there in the internet ether somewhere? I'm seriously pulling my hair out over this... can anyone offer any advice?

2. Jsmit macrumors regular

Have you tried to connect a computer directly to you modem, bypassing you router (which I assume is and airport base station or express)? By doing this you will be able a tell if it has to do with your network or not.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

This is what I get at gobecky.com:

Sounds like something's wrong with your router. You could always try a hard reset.

4. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Any other sites causing problems?

Try this: open your Utilities folder, then launch Terminal and then type "host [your domain]", replacing [your domain] with your domain name (no need for the http).

That'll tell you if your DNS is working. It's not if you get something like
    Code:
    Host amadeupdomain not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
    If it does that, check your network settings in system prefs and empty the DNS boxes, set the settings to Auto (provided you're using a fairly normal network set up), and they should get filled with the default values set by your ISP.

Short of that, dunno what to suggest.

Ben

5. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Mkay, I am now directly connected to the modem, bypassing my Airport, and I can indeed reach my domain. So the problem, I infer, is with the Airport. I have never had any Airport trouble before, so I'm at a loss. What's a hard reset? Any other tricks I can try? Please advise...

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You didn't say what kind of airport you have, but links to instructions for all models are at
    http://www.apple.com/support/airport/

7. phonemonkey macrumors regular

It is also possible if the airport isn't blocking anything, that the site itself could be having problems with the MAC address of the airport. It's not too common but at the ISP where I work I see it every now and then...
    I'd also try a traceroute to see exactly where it's timing out.

8. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

phonemonkey, how should I do the traceroute? When I'm behind the Airport (snow, btw) the domain can't be found. Do you mean a traceroute from someplace else TO my network? And what's a MAC address? All of this is so confusing...

9. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

How do I find the MAC address of my Airport? Is this something that is assigned, or can I change it? And if this is the problem, as phonemonkey suggests, do I take the issue up with my ISP or the host of my website?

10. phonemonkey macrumors regular

I'm not sure about the MAC address on the airport, I usually use linksys and dlink routers, but generally the mac address is on a label on the bottom on a sticker. Like I said, I'm not sure about the airport but I'd look there.
    Also in response to your question before about traceroute. I would try to do a traceroute and/or ping from an app. called Network Utility, which is in the Utilities folder. Should give you insight on to how far out you're making it before it craps out on you.

11. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Can you get to http://64.235.229.17/ (the IP the domain resolves to)?

How does your "Internet" tab look in the AirPort configuration? Have you got DNS servers specified manually? can you try renewing your DHCP lease on the AirPort? (If you need to know how let me know and I'll have to look it up as I haven't used an AirPort before).

This sounds like some wird problem with DNS that surfaces every now and then especially with new sites.