Is this an Expose bug or just the way it is?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by SBG88, Dec 2, 2003.

1. SBG88 macrumors regular

When enabling the show desktop. If I double click an app or dmg all my windows reappear to my desktop. I just want them to stay the hell in the background until I command them to come out. Bug or just the way it is?

2. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

That's the way it's designed. Exposé moves all of your windows off screen. Once you open a window, all of your other windows come back onto the screen. If they didn't then exposé would have no way of knowing whether you wanted all of your windows back or all of your windows gone the next time you pressed F11 (or whatever key you use).

Edit: once you show the desktop, if you want your other programs to stay invisible, press cmd-alt-H to hide all of your other applications.

3. gairloch macrumors newbie

Yup!

That's the way it is... and that's a good thing. It's to find a file that happens to be on the desktop (where it probably shouldn't be anyway...making things all cluttered and blocking the nice desktop image we've all got) and then get back to work.

I like the way it works just as it is.

Shift + F11 or F10 or F9 is nifty, too, eh!

4. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

Re: Yup!

gairloch-

I have to take issue with your assertion that you shouldn't put files on the desktop. In OS 9, I always dragged the files for whatever I was working on on the desktop, and then used the nifty "Put Away..." feature when I was done (I still miss that feature in OS X).

In 10.1 and 10.2, I would create a folder of aliases and put it in the dock. In Panther, I still use aliases (mourning "Put Away"), but now I can put them on the desktop again...it saves me mouse clicks.

5. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

Re: Yup!

right ^2 ;-)
    I mean, what s more relaxing than checking from time to time if your background picture is still in place. :)

shift minimiz, f9-11 is fun to, to show some wintel users what other interesting things are still out there.

6. gairloch macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Yup!

No problem, buddy. We each have our offices arranged differently, eh! I guess I just work best with a clean desk.

7. advres Guest

advres

if you want a cool blue dot to activate expose instead of key commands then go to the terminal and type:
    defaults write com.apple.dock wvous-floater -boul true<enter> killall dock<enter>
    to make the blob go away then type the exact same thing put replace "true" with "false".

just a little haxie I like.

8. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

Should be:

defaults write com.apple.dock wvous-floater -bool true; killall Dock

(and of course press enter)

OS X is case sensitive ;)

I suspect anybody who should be messing around in the terminal would be able to figure that out from advres' statement, but just in case we have some unix newbies...

9. advres Guest

advres